FR Jones Chainsaw Sale: Stihl MS 261 vs Husq 550XP

Mark Wileman

I had a 550 on a recommendation. Always had 346 and 357's and an awful stihl 362 paper weight. 550 lasted for 6 months after moderate use, had to replaced the av springs, baffles broke in the exhaust so replaced that, then the crank gave up. Shopped it in for a 261. Just as light, little slower revving, lovely to use, so far no issues.

Sent from my F5321 using Arbtalk mobile app

I had a 550 on a recommendation. Always had 346 and 357's and an awful stihl 362 paper weight. 550 lasted for 6 months after moderate use, had to replaced the av springs, baffles broke in the exhaust so replaced that, then the crank gave up. Shopped it in for a 261. Just as light, little slower revving, lovely to use, so far no issues.

Cheers for the reply, seems to be one way or the other. I take it from your name your saws get a ton of use?

I'm still leaning stihl here guys, especially after hearing that the needle bearing problem has been 'fixed' (need to find out when and what manufacture dates will be the improved version).

I think a bit of fair comparison is called for here

The local dealer price is , assuming 25% off is for an 18 inch saw

The F R Jones price is for a powerhead only, their price for an 18" MS261 is £529.20, so there is £35.80 difference.

Every Stihl dealer has the choice how much discount to give and 25% off is a very fair price, just the same as every tree surgeon can decide his price for a job and how much margin he wants/ needs to make

Knowing the OP is based in West Wales , he will have to collect a chainsaw from FR Jones, 500 mile round trip and that will easily wipe out the extra discount offered. It may have even been us who quoted the 25% off, thats the best price we would offer. On the subject of warranty , the Stihl warranty is valid throughout the UK at any dealer, but if you buy local you are much more likely to get a better service if problems occur than if you arrive with a saw bought from the other side of the country.

The bearing issue with the MS261 looks to have been sorted , it wasnt the bearing but a poorly made batch of sprockets with a slightly off round centre hole

I can see you have had that conversation more than once as well! :001_smile:

There must be way more 550's sold than 261's so I would expect a higher number of complaints about the 550. Husky have reigned the 50cc bracket for quite some time. Unless you have a poor 550 it just doesnt compare to the 261.

Cheers for the reply, seems to be one way or the other. I take it from your name your saws get a ton of use?

I'm still leaning stihl here guys, especially after hearing that the needle bearing problem has been 'fixed' (need to find out when and what manufacture dates will be the improved version).

Can't fault this stihl so far. Great on a 16 inch bar. I don't have an allegiance to a specific brand. I get through a saw every 12/18 months.

• 2 weeks later...