Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

For those that want portable does this mean light enough to man handle onto trailer or does it mean drive to spot and be ready to go? What I am working on can be moved by two people but would need a lots of extra insulation and complexity to avoid overheating a trailer if it was mounted on one.

I may have not been clear: portability is good but, if the economics can only change if something in the equation gives then, for me, portability would be sacrificial. What Woodworks is proposing in the above post is perhaps the very compromise we need. Yes loading it onto a trailer for relocation rather than a 'park up and go' would be very acceptable.

I've not disappeared.... I've been taking it all in & trying to get my head around what biochar is. Thought I'd gotten my head around it; that was until I read Openspacemans post. Actually, if I admit it.... I'm very confused!!

Is there an 'The Idiots Guide to Biochar' book?.... that's exactly what I need.

I also thought Stainless Steel was just Stainless Steel; but I'm also confused about that (thanks Alec!)

Is there an 'The Idiots Guide to Stainless Steel' book?.... that's exactly what I need.

In terms of mobile retort, for me;.... mobile on wheels is best, dismantling and moving/ setting up at new location is second best, third (worst) would be something cemented to the ground.

cheers, Steve

Edited by SteveA

For my retorts flue I need some way to attach the flue pipe. Hope one of you guys might know where I could get something like this but in stainless.

What dimensions (and do you have facilities for welding?)

Alec

Cant weld yet! Was looking into learning but from what I have been told thinnish metal is not that easy without tig/mig gear and then your into gas bottles and expensive gear. The flu size is frankly a guess but I would have thought 150mm would do

You can weld stainless with MMA down to about 3mm thickness without too many problems and it would be the cheapest option by far, but trying to fabricate a tube to plate joint as you first project would not be an easy way to learn!

The fitting you are looking for is a stub end. These are often welded in, but if you have access to a power drill, ideally a pillar drill, you can add the bolt holes as required. Googling 'stainless stub end UK' shows up plenty of options, for example:

Stub End

Along with many others.

Alec