Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

10 minutes ago, northumbriaforestry said:

All kilns emptied, graded & bagged. Been working on making a few new products from my charcoal recently. Have soap, eye liner & toothpaste, & now that I've emptied the kilns I need at least two of them followed by beer, though off for a surf first!?‍♀️?

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_3009 2.jpg

Looks like a very good conversion rate. By volume what do expect to get from a ring kiln? 

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Hi Beau,

Is there a way to access this for non-facebookers?

I will have a go at getting the videos up on youtube. Took me longer to upload 10 short videos yesterday than it did to make 2 barrels of charcoal ?

Seems youtube is quicker to upload to than facebook so I will add them all here 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I will have a go at getting the videos up on youtube. Took me longer to upload 10 short videos yesterday than it did to make 2 barrels of charcoal ?

Seems youtube is quicker to upload to than facebook so I will add them all here 

That is awesome Beau!

I love the barrel loading and unloading system and the expanding air regulation system. Genius.

Have you ever had a barrel reignite once it's been removed from the retort?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

That is awesome Beau!

I love the barrel loading and unloading system and the expanding air regulation system. Genius.

Have you ever had a barrel reignite once it's been removed from the retort?

Once but that was because I opened it just a few hours after removal from the retort. It felt cool but soon started reigniting with air. Lid back on pronto. Normally leave it overnight to play safe now 

1 hour ago, Silverhooker said:

Very neat and clever set up. I salute your invention and ergonomic design.
Read an article that due to lack of overseas imports, due to Covid, there will be a shortage of BBQ charcoal this summer! Could be a good year for you sir .

I wish. My main outlets have shut. Used to sell from the farm gate from an honesty box but there is now no passing traffic and I dont want provide a vector for virus anyway. Others are doing a booming trade apparently. 

• 11 months later...

Well last year turned out better than expected charcoal sales wise and hope for more of the same again this year. The retort is still performing faultlessly. May make up a second to enable greater production. The current one can make enough but I could be running two at the same time and more days doing other things

Love an evening burn 

1.jpg

• Like 5