Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:46, Woodworks said:

The first ever big order of charcoal for us. Made 1/2 cube in a day which was our most productive yet.

IMG_20190411_092831.jpg

IMG_20190411_094751.jpg

IMG_20190411_112235.jpg

Hi Beau, good to see you're shifting some bulk charcoal.

Just being nosey what weight are those bags on the pallet? They look fairly large, 10kg?

Ernie.

5 minutes ago, Ernesto said:

Hi Beau, good to see you're shifting some bulk charcoal.

Just being nosey what weight are those bags on the pallet? They look fairly large, 10kg?

Ernie.

Hi Ernie. We loaded them with 60litres of charcoal and they came in around 9.3 kg so pretty close with your 10kg. If I could run at lower temps and make denser charcoal they would probably weigh in excess of 10kg

Thought they'd be about that. We had some of the larger bags from Selway, we get about 10kg in them, I tried and could just about get 12kg without making them sealable.

I know what you mean re temperature the last burn we did we struggled to get the kiln properly hot, a combination of wind from the wrong direction for the fire and slightly damp fuel for the fire, not for the charcoal charge.

Anyway here's some bonus pics of our metal retort, featuring the bellows to help get the fire going/hot and the 3 size selway bags we produce.

Ernie.

20181030_100145.jpg

20181204_105531.jpg

20190423_123103.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernesto said:

Thought they'd be about that. We had some of the larger bags from Selway, we get about 10kg in them, I tried and could just about get 12kg without making them sealable.

I know what you mean re temperature the last burn we did we struggled to get the kiln properly hot, a combination of wind from the wrong direction for the fire and slightly damp fuel for the fire, not for the charcoal charge.

Anyway here's some bonus pics of our metal retort, featuring the bellows to help get the fire going/hot and the 3 size selway bags we produce.

Ernie.

20181030_100145.jpg

20181204_105531.jpg

20190423_123103.jpg

Very shiny. Is it stainless or galvanised steel? These are the bags I used on that order. Pretty value IMO https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Large-Potato-Sacks-New-Kraft-Bags-0433/231887260055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It's galv. The Base plkate over the fire which the charge sits on ( in the shopping baskets, if you remember) is 3mm stainless, bottled it on the price for  a sheet of the stuff they use for cat converters. Not sure how long it'll last, but the similar sheet in the brick retort is still solid.

Yep those bags look pretty similar to the ones we got from Selway. easy for us as they're only about 7 miles from the retort.

10 minutes ago, Ernesto said:

It's galv. The Base plkate over the fire which the charge sits on ( in the shopping baskets, if you remember) is 3mm stainless, bottled it on the price for  a sheet of the stuff they use for cat converters. Not sure how long it'll last, but the similar sheet in the brick retort is still solid.

Interesting. I was toying with the idea of using galvanised sheet for my next one. Stainless is crazy money and expands far more when hot so creating more stresses. I know the galvanising will melt but most of it is protected from the worst of the heat so should be good.

Yes we got the inside faces of the sheet lined with ceramic fibre insulation, 50mm thick still gets too hot to touch on the outside, but then again it's over450c inside. Drop me a pm with your number if you fancy a chat with a fellow charcoal spotter. Ernie.

On 15/04/2019 at 11:09, Woodworks said:

Yes. I could now but as it's only plans but would be nice to have it just a bit slicker first. I am still on my heavily modified MK1 and it looks like it haha. I want to try out a few more mods and these things seem to take an age. Only asking £20 for the plans. You would get working drawing and admission to a closed facebook group to help with construction and use. 

How are the plans coming along? I'd love to buy a set! Although god knows why I want to make charcoal? no, I do know why- planning on moving to IBCs for logs and I could quite easily toss small stuff into specific crates set aside for charcoal.

And it should be fun..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, william127 said:

How are the plans coming along? I'd love to buy a set! Although god knows why I want to make charcoal? no, I do know why- planning on moving to IBCs for logs and I could quite easily toss small stuff into specific crates set aside for charcoal.

And it should be fun..

Just waiting from some feedback from a friend who has just built an interpretation of mine but twice the size. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...