Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

38 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Tips covert perfectly just but most fall through the sieve! I do tend to cut off the worst of the spray. Still trying different things as not been at it long. As to the retort thus far avoided sharing it all as I have moments when I think it might make me a few bob and then there is the rest of the time haha. Not got any pictures to share at present but when I do they will go on here for sure.

That's fair enough, to be frank, selling plans with a big "I bear no responsibility for anything" blurb at the beginning could be the simplest way to make a few quid.. obviously a lot less than making and selling the whole unit, but less hassle, or just sell it as a once off to the manufacturer willing to give you the best price. 

I wouldn't mind a good portion of small char to incorporate in the soil so tips and all will go with mine, just as well because there all mixed in the bags already!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm thinking of pushing the charcoal a bit harder now, got a couple of shops on board and think there's a market.

this means I'm gonna have to upgrade my Heath robinson(but effective) kiln to something with more capacity. Now I'm not going to say money is no object but I am willing to throw a few grand at this to get the desired result, but can't make my mind up what's best to do.

firstly I've access to a shit hot fabricator so building something like a fourseasons style retort is one option. My other option is a better version of what I've got which I think is pretty similar to woodworks early design, I'm considering maybe building out of brick like a proper kiln with the 45 gallon barrels on a frame lifted out with the forklift.

i really can't make my mind up which way is better, if I go for a large chamber I was thinking my timber could be strapped in a billet bundler with wire and lifted stright in the kiln with a bale spike, or is it easier/better to put through a branch logger straight into barrels?

i'd welcome peoples options and experiences,

ste

If you forklift in your billets you still have the hassle and mess of removing it all and have to wait for the whole retort to be cool first. I have had a few people out to see mine and one of the things they really liked was the removable charge chambers. Being able to take your cooked charcoal and pour it out straight onto a mesh was seen as a big time saver. Even have a friend making a multi charge chamber roll on roll off version which I can't wait to see in action. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

Just a little update. Still working on plans but not there yet but it's working well. Converted 1m3 of logs to charcoal yesterday so pretty pleased with that.

We have come up with an idea for an automatic air control but yet to make it. What metals expand the most but can withstand temps up tp 800C? It won't have any load on it other than supporting its own weight. 

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

We have come up with an idea for an automatic air control but yet to make it. What metals expand the most but can withstand temps up tp 800C? It won't have any load on it other than supporting its own weight. 

Brazing rod onto a steel strip is probably the easiest

• Like 1

Just now, openspaceman said:

Sorry I missed the "expand the most" without reference to other metals, answer is I don't know but O level physics taught me invar expands the least ?

Having done a bit of googling 316 should work quite well. Expands a fair bit more than mild steel and does withstand the temps involved.