Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

7 minutes ago, richardwale said:

Got any pictures?

Not going to show everything but as it's easy to copy but there are pictures on page 10 and 20 of this thread. The construction on page 10 is now slightly different though.

Edited by Woodworks

• 5 months later...

That time of year again and just done our first burn of the season.

Converted 4 barrels worth in the day experimenting with higher and lower temperature burns. Not finding my retort easy to run at lower temps (500c) but going up to 600c seems more stable and less control of air flow required, also knocks and hour off the burn! Just started bagging up the charcoal but cant see much variation from opening the lids but will have a clearer idea of any variation later.

IMG_20180422_104942.jpg

IMG_20180422_105241.jpg

IMG_20180419_183331.jpg

• Like 6

Most have another crack at this myself during the summer, I have used the biscuit tin method with a 25ltr can in the past just for personal use. What species are you using there Beau, and do you use full size fire wood logs or smaller off cuts?

Edited by rowan lee

16 minutes ago, rowan lee said:

Most have another crack at this myself during the summer, I have used the biscuit tin method with a 25ltr can in the past just for personal use. What species are you using there Beau, and do you use full size fire wood logs or smaller off cuts?

Hi Rowan.

I use all our hedgerow species like sycamore, beech, ash, oak and they all work fine. I use the smaller material say 1"-3" diameter as the rest goes for logs. Nice thing with the small diameter is it tends to hold it's shape whereas the larger logs usually break up during the process. 

• Like 1

I haven't. I was waiting for someone to invent a small scale, cheap method. I guess if it was easy it would have been done by now. Still hoping though and still really interested. The coppice would make perfect feedstock so I do need to explore this properly.

56 minutes ago, Marko said:

I haven't. I was waiting for someone to invent a small scale, cheap method. 

I think I have!

It would cost around £500 -£800 to make. Makes 60+kg of saleable charcoal per day and you could easily run two at a time if you wanted to up production. The charcoal ends up in barrels which are easy to handle. It's ready to go again the next day while you sieve the previous days product. What other retorts can compete with that? Only unknown is longevity as I dont work it hard enough to ware it out. 

Just deciding how to go forward with it. Options are

1. Manufacturer them  (very complex)

2. Sell plans (most likely)

3. Do nought and keep it for myself (not going happen)

4. Just share with all for nothing (possible)

Edited by Woodworks