Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jealous of THCCo, they have a wealthy investor behind them to fund projects like a brand new retort specifically made to their spec by Pressvess who made my retort. Will be more reliable than the one supplied by the Russians.......

Is this the sort they have at present? Main - Heat energy equipment |Charcoal production and processing equipment| Polymers waste

I've sorted my burn issues, got some bags printed and even got a farm shop to agree to sell some for me. I'm just wondering what size range folk aim for when making charcoal, I'm wanting to knock a screen up for removing the fine so pondering what size mesh to use.

Thanks, ste

I've sorted my burn issues, got some bags printed and even got a farm shop to agree to sell some for me. I'm just wondering what size range folk aim for when making charcoal, I'm wanting to knock a screen up for removing the fine so pondering what size mesh to use.

Thanks, ste

Good you got the problems sorted. What was the issue? Love to see some pictures :thumbup1:

I use a 1" mesh to fill most of the bag and add a hand full of what does not go through a 1/2" mesh. I think 1/2 mesh is the norm but just don't like too much fines in our bags. All very small scale though.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Got a request for 10 bags of charcoal the other day so had to fire up the retort again as we were out of stock. Got to say that the design just works with another batch of perfect charcoal with no brown ends and no ash.

Not given up on the production of the retort yet but after a good chat with James Hookway at Charfest may just look to sell plans. It gets around all the hassles of CE marks and the like and I can see once people have seen mine in the flesh they will think "I can make that so not going to buy one"

If we were selling plans how much detail would you want and expect. Every last detail or just drawings and dimensions of the finished retort and allow people to make them as they see fit? It could be welded or folder and riveted as my prototype is.

Thoughts please 

Edited by Woodworks