Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

Intriguing. :thumbup:

It already looks quite different to your mk1 test retort.

Did you find the insulation very itchy/ easy to work with?.... looks about 50mm thick?

cheers, steve

No not that thick and not especially itchy. Better to use than rockwool

guys, why don't you build a kiln out of brick ? Could line it with fireproof ones if you really wanted.

Make the entrance large enough so you can get a pallet in it with a forklift to make life easy. Maybe use a pallet cage to stack the wood in, burn it then fork it back out full of charcoal and bang another one in.

All that metal work sounds expensive and hard work to me.

Just had my first go with prototype. Principle is great and made 3x200 litre barrels worth by lunchtime. Only made it of light steel to test idea but some parts are very odd shapes now :laugh1:. Even the stainless L section barrel supports have sagged which I did not expect.

Just had my first go with prototype. Principle is great and made 3x200 litre barrels worth by lunchtime. Only made it of light steel to test idea but some parts are very odd shapes now :laugh1:. Even the stainless L section barrel supports have sagged which I did not expect.

Just because it's stainless doesn't mean it doesn't lose strength when heated just that it resists oxidation.

First burn of the new retort yesterday - used English Ash with a m/c of 14%[ATTACH]218642[/ATTACH][ATTACH]218643[/ATTACH][ATTACH]218644[/ATTACH][ATTACH]218645[/ATTACH][ATTACH]218646[/ATTACH][ATTACH]218647[/ATTACH]

I'm not jealous one bit. :thumbdown::laugh1:

Okay I'm TOTALLY JEALOUS! :001_huh:

Where is the temperature probe/sensor fitted and are you able to control the temperature, via an air inlet or something else?

Also wondering what happens when it's cooked enough.... do you close/ seal the firebox door and also the chimney flue to stop the charcoal igniting and turning to ash? (ie, shutting off all entry of air).

Superb looking bit of kit. I want one! :thumbup:

Can't afford one. :thumbdown:

cheers, steve

guys, why don't you build a kiln out of brick ? Could line it with fireproof ones if you really wanted.

Make the entrance large enough so you can get a pallet in it with a forklift to make life easy. Maybe use a pallet cage to stack the wood in, burn it then fork it back out full of charcoal and bang another one in.

All that metal work sounds expensive and hard work to me.

The metal one above does have firebricks... see them in the firebox?....

I've thought about doing a brick kiln but haven't found any decent plans.

One downside is it would be totally fixed, no chance of it being craned elsewhere.

cheers, steve

Must admit I had not grasped that fact. So do all steels and stainless steels become dramatically weaker when heated?

Sorry to hear yours has buckled.... but on a positive note it does mean your retort is getting more efficient. Maybe look into ways of controlling the maximum temperature?.... less than 500deg Celsius I guess.

Would be good to see photos of what's occurred, if possible?

cheers, Steve

Temperature got to 475 in 2 1/4 hrs with just 3 old clean pallets.

Got up to 525 degrees and was then controlled using the top vent and lighting off the wood gases.

When I went home last night at 6.30pm if was all but over and the temp was starting to drop. Kept the firebox open slightly to ensure there was pull.

This morning at 8am the temp was just over 100 and it was opened & the charcoal emptied into a 1m3 cooling bin with airtight lid.