Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

So what's the going rate for selling the stuff? Do you need to specify hard or soft wood etc etc?

We get £5 for the small Selway bags which is around 2kg. Thats selling direct and the paper bags aint cheap. Don't expect to make a fortune :biggrin:

We call it a hobby that makes a few pounds but no money to be made IMO at least not around here.

We get £5 for the small Selway bags which is around 2kg. Thats selling direct and the paper bags aint cheap. Don't expect to make a fortune :biggrin:

We call it a hobby that makes a few pounds but no money to be made IMO at least not around here.

Must be hard to compete with the supermarkets, I have just made a tiny charcoal stove to fit into the van and to test it I bought 5KG of lumpwood charcoal for £5 from Morrison's.

20170324_172413.jpg.b535b5c839b8a0e4206b9176e6ac4707.jpg

I was wondering if an old land roll would be of use?

I have a 5ft roll, two 5ft diax5ft length barrels essentially that are probably about 1" thick? Can't measure it up just now as I'm not there for a while though.

What a great idea. :thumbup: Hadn't even crossed my mind.

Looks like it would last a lifetime too...

cheers, Steve

image.jpeg.4aafbeb96f12026c8c4030b54d29e0a0.jpeg

What a great idea. :thumbup: Hadn't even crossed my mind.

Looks like it would last a lifetime too...

cheers, Steve

a quick glance on ebay suggests these hold some value. I suppose old or new, they don't really ever wear and old ones are probably better made than new ones so sought after?

still, might find one locally at a farm sale if you're lucky?

a quick glance on ebay suggests these hold some value. I suppose old or new, they don't really ever wear and old ones are probably better made than new ones so sought after?

still, might find one locally at a farm sale if you're lucky?

That's my thinking too. Best to keep a look out for an old one, local as possible, with collapsed bearings. May be possible to pick one up for £100 to £200

Due to weight I think it would be leaning towards being a fixed position retort, possibly.

cheers, steve

Spent some of the weekend working on my prototype.

Intriguing. :thumbup:

It already looks quite different to your mk1 test retort.

Did you find the insulation very itchy/ easy to work with?.... looks about 50mm thick?

cheers, steve