Just Unlucky ?

LogDesperate

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While visiting importers and producers of firewood in UK and Ireland as a native Lithuanian I was suprised how people calculate volume of firewood in bags, builder bags, barrow bags, carry bags or any other flexible packaging. As well bag is not neatly packed, but its just loose firewood in a bag.

When UK importers are asking for the price of wood, they clearly calculate dimensions of the box, how many boxes in 40ft container and what is the weight of one box. So they clearly understand how business should calculate such a product, but they never tell that to the people.

I even had requests to export firewood loose in big bags, but when I stated that is not efficient import, customers started to do numbers and imported crates since then.

There are different companies in the market, different products and quality, so these who buy kiln dried firewood in crates they win in this situation, because they have ready to use product and they know what they pay for the volume.

Easiest way to get rid of the cowboys is too not put money in their pockets

If you do buy from them and your not happy tell them, hassle them so hopefully they take note for the future

No point in coming on here bitching about this industry if your gonna let the cowboys walk all over you

Sure , I can have “ intelligent “ debates / discussions with every single one of the suppliers I had pleasure of making their acquaintances , every time I had a thing or two to say about the quality and/or quantity of the goods , that would probably earn me eventually the claim to fame 3 minute window in Crimestoppers !

I have done my fair share of the complaints, with few of the suppliers in the past , in me youth , thankfully without becoming that statistic.

Now , the reason I am here “ bitching “ , as you very delicately put , I believe words are mightier than the sword !

Trying to put my opinions across and share my experiences here within the biggest platform I could think of, perhaps at least make some of the culprits understand and change their ways , who think the customers are mugs , is that a bad thing ?

“ Bitching “ here , my voice ( and others ) is heard little louder and to a wider audience .

While visiting importers and producers of firewood in UK and Ireland as a native Lithuanian I was suprised how people calculate volume of firewood in bags, builder bags, barrow bags, carry bags or any other flexible packaging. As well bag is not neatly packed, but its just loose firewood in a bag.

When UK importers are asking for the price of wood, they clearly calculate dimensions of the box, how many boxes in 40ft container and what is the weight of one box. So they clearly understand how business should calculate such a product, but they never tell that to the people.

I even had requests to export firewood loose in big bags, but when I stated that is not efficient import, customers started to do numbers and imported crates since then.

There are different companies in the market, different products and quality, so these who buy kiln dried firewood in crates they win in this situation, because they have ready to use product and they know what they pay for the volume.

When we supplied logs I had a new tipper body made for the hilux. It was made just over 2 cubic metres so our advertised 2 cu load did not bounce over the sides. We then heaped it up in case it settled on route.

I did this so I was not ripping myself or the customer off. In most cases the customer got 2.5 cubic metres of loose logs. 90 % beach cut to 10" unless requested larger. Seasoned for 18 months but I would say 50% of my customers would still shop round to save £10-£20.

I would say tk has some good points but talking to the wrong people as most on here will be supply top quality product and will take offence at being tarred with the same brush as your beer money unemployed chancers.

When we supplied logs I had a new tipper body made for the hilux. It was made just over 2 cubic metres so our advertised 2 cu load did not bounce over the sides. We then heaped it up in case it settled on route.

I would say tk has some good points but talking to the wrong people as most on here will be supply top quality product and will take offence at being tarred with the same brush as your beer money unemployed chancers.

Steve ?

I stated this few times already , I am not saying log suppliers all here or elsewhere are the same , maybe not even single one of the official registered users / posters here.

Not my intention to “ brand “ all the same. I already know many fantastic people here that have integrity and ethics , I can tell

The “ cowboy “ types are most likely mainly the lurker ones , which you don’t hear a peep out of , but I am sure they are around here and watching / reading !

By the way , I don’t and have not always bought my logs from the “beer money unemployed chancers “ . I actually don’t always go for the absolute possible cheapest , “ cheap is dear “

Some of my purchases were made with people who had web presence , what appeared to be a reputable and reliable business , with similar results.

And where does it end anyway ? Can’t buy the cheapest , don’t buy medium priced . Do we always have to assume it is ALWAYS the most expensive one that we must buy if we want quality ? And even with that is there a guarantee ?

I think it all boils down to ethics. I want what is advertised / promised .

I don’t mind crap , if price is right , sure , why not ? It is my decision to make . Tell me it’s crap leylandii for proper cubic meter , seasoned for 2 years , £20 a cube delivered , I might be tempted !

Edited by LogDesperate

I think as the Lithuanian guy said above the logs are stacked for import, obviously in the countries that importing them the mark up is that great for them and the labour so cheap it's viable... in this country though it would be absolutely ridiculous the over heads are enough with out the cost of an extra 20 mins stacking per cubic metre.

You are not the only one , on the suprise front ! Hence this thread

:001_tt2:

Very interesting post,

As someone who has been selling firewood for over 20yr

I find it hard to believe that in all that time you still haven't found a reliable supplier,

Where are you based, have you always lived in the same area,

I believe you have came to the right forum to find what you've been looking for,

so why not give someone a chance to prove it.

Steve ?

I stated this few times already , I am not saying log suppliers all here or elsewhere are the same , maybe not even single one of the official registered users / posters here.

Not my intention to “ brand “ all the same. I already know many fantastic people here that have integrity and ethics , I can tell

The “ cowboy “ types are most likely mainly the lurker ones , which you don’t hear a peep out of , but I am sure they are around here and watching / reading !

By the way , I don’t and have not always bought my logs from the “beer money unemployed chancers “ . I actually don’t always go for the absolute possible cheapest , “ cheap is dear “

Some of my purchases were made with people who had web presence , what appeared to be a reputable and reliable business , with similar results.

And where does it end anyway ? Can’t buy the cheapest , don’t buy medium priced . Do we always have to assume it is ALWAYS the most expensive one that we must buy if we want quality ? And even with that is there a guarantee ?

I think it all boils down to ethics. I want what is advertised / promised .

I don’t mind crap , if price is right , sure , why not ? It is my decision to make . Tell me it’s crap leylandii for proper cubic meter , seasoned for 2 years , £20 a cube delivered , I might be tempted !

Ok I look forward to reading how you got on after you order from a local arbtalker. Hopefully it will be a positive long term experience for both. 👍🏻

I think if the op just stated the problem and left it that this post would not have

turned into a slagging match.

He has a point, their are to many variables with buying logs, i get annoyed with

adverts in our local papers saying " logs for sale large or small loads," WTF, state in the ad what a load is and price, if you where selling a car for example you would not put an ad in the paper saying "car for sale" you would put in a full description of what you where selling and the price.

I sell logs and state 1cube softwood £50, mixed cube £60, 1 cube hardwood £70

loose fill cube, tip and go price. I also sell 1 cube branch material which i call odds and ends for £30. I have made up a 1cube crate that fits the back of my van and

over fill to allow for settlement.

The customer has a choice and know exactly how much it will cost.

Its simple really. Yes their are lots of suppliers doing it right all around the country, but sorry chaps their are a lot who need to get their act together.