Just Unlucky ?

LogDesperate

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, 50 is a distant memory these days, soon be an OAP :laugh1: Our stove is a dainty little Hunter Hawk and if I buy logs I always have to split some of them, not very often I buy any if I can get arb waste or scrounge windblown though. Anything over 2" is fire fodder for us I don't mind cutting and drying it at home.

I will be entitled to my OAP next January . I have enough arb waste to last me untill I am at least 70 .....:biggrin:

Because he only knows the ideal for his burner, why so negative Gary? This is a very interesting (and funny at times) thread.

I have been guilty of some of Logdesperate's gripes, but long ago (over 20 yrs) when I was greener than the logs I was selling ( got stuck with a load of lime and horse chestnut once but I had to use it as I didn't have anything else )

I've learned a lot and now offer customers an 'honest' log:

I am clear that it is a LOOSE load (either 2m3 or 3.5m3) and that stacked it will be about 3/4 of loose volume

It has been felled 2 yrs but as we process off the stack the moisture can be as much as 25% depending on species but is more usually around 20%

I make sure I know what size ( length and girth ) they want. One advantage of process straight on truck.

I still get short of seasoned cord (all hardwood) towards the end of the season (end April to mid May) on occasion and ask the customer if they'd be happy to take a half n half load of dry and green logs as most won't use a lot of it til Autumn

I put oak aside and process and season separately for a further their year, usually, at 18" for pubs or to mix in later.

I'm slowly building up a stock of ibc s so I can process all year round and keep ahead

Never had any major complaints and a good 50% of my customers are using logs as sole source of heat

Nobody's perfect[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Log desperate, have you considered that as you empty that delivered crate, and restack it, there will be some variance? Logs aren't uniform so the stack could shrink, or grow. Yes you are closer to knowing what you get, but i mention it just to show, its not easy for suppliers to be totally 'weights and measures' accurate.

Clever guy with lots of equipment and log knowledge buys unsatisfactory logs for 20 years? I'm with TCD this is a wind up

It's a wind up, it's like asking to buy a perfect steak every time from the supermarket. Just doesn't happen.

I agree, delivered logs should ALWAYS be ready to burn, but as to the occasional misshapen one, cheeky softwood one, slightly longer one, bit of mud on the side one, heavens above, get a grip....

Buy the imported crate, " oh my god, there's a smaller log in the corner with half the bark missing"

Firstly, the bad experiences, particularly from suppliers who couldn't state a volume of their delivery- why did you even continue with the order if they can't clarify the volume.

Second log size- if it wasn't as ordered, tell the supplier and get them to do something about it. If they didn't state a size and you didn't ask either then you can't expect it to be exactly what you want.

A lot of your comments can be dismissed with the same logic- moisture, wasn't as stated- have them swap it. You didn't ask or clarify with them the moisture level- garunteed to get crap.

I can think of at least half a dozen national suppliers who could do a better job in a crated load with British wood than you've experienced. In my area I can think of even more local suppliers (including myself) who I'd trust to buy a load off with clearly specified volumes, moisture levels, log sizes, wood species and delivery times.

You're either a troll, overly fussy or need a good lesson in how to use google to find you a good local supplier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clever guy with lots of equipment and log knowledge buys unsatisfactory logs for 20 years? I'm with TCD this is a wind up

Looks what you guys did to me , now I have the boss key ready at work sneak and send replies , I think I am hooked !

Thanks for the compliment! I don't think I am that clever :001_smile:

Lots of equipment ?? I have a log splitter that cost me £150 , 8 years ago , Electric Bosch Chainsaw , £50 I think it was , couple of axes, I swear that is it :001_tongue:

OK, I feel I need to come clean on the 20 years thing, maybe it is more like 17 , and out of those 17 years perhaps 2 or 3 years I did not need to buy logs in .

So now , does that make it little more plausible?

I can assure you it is not a wind up … I have 50-60 hour work weeks , trust me I would not ordinarily bother with this kind of stuff , but I hoped you guys could see the frustration and listen to a buyers experiences and perhaps a find a common ground within community to address and resolve , since I think this is the biggest platform in UK that Tree Surgery and related product suppliers gather and discuss , what better place is there ?

Apologies if its not been answered, but why does it matter if they spit when you have stove?

also, I have had oak, ash, sycamore alĺ spit. You just cannot guarantee it

Because I like to sit by the stove to have a few cigarettes in the evenings , open the door let the smoke sucked up so room doesn’t stink , poke and admire the fire at the same time ! I can do without the ones spit in my eye.

“I have had oak, ash, sycamore alĺ spit. You just cannot guarantee it “

Have you tried “ seasoning “ them properly ? Those varieties should not spit , if properly dry. I suppose any log will spit , I am not referring to spitting as in once in a blue moon.

Have you tried burning chestnut or pine .. ?

Hey LogDesperate because you appear to have so much knowledge as to how the perfect load of logs should be i reckon you should start up in business reckon youd do a roaring trade:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Gary , oh Gary , you were quick to post in this thread saying got bored and did not bother to read my first post in its entirety , you come back with a sarcastic second post ( most probably not even read others either ) , but I still like you !

You are quick to post but alas with little to no substance

I have four words for you . “ Ignorance is a bliss “ … no offense . Which applies to few others here as well , who appear to be in denial

Please read all my posts , and you will probably get the answer you are looking for.

But sure , if I were to do log trade , I would do it with pride , ethics , supply quality products which are fit for purpose and fair quantity / volume .

If you are a log seller or whatever business you are in , you do what you are good ( hopefully you are ) at , and I will do what I am good at , I have no intention of starting log trade and steal business from you guys !