Just Unlucky ?

LogDesperate

I didn't say that Mull, nor do I believe it.

The discussion thus far has provided several examples of suppliers that DO stand by their product and are prepared to stand up and be counted.

What I meant, and I suspect you know full well, was that, if the consumer can't find what they are looking for, perhaps they are not looking in the right place!!

PS, just thread jumping for ease before bed.....

You'll be blaming the roof being open next.....

[emoji23]

Sorry Kevin, that's not quite cutting it, you basically said " if you don't like it, find a different product!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not read the whole opening post?

He has found the product they are looking for, but have had to look over seas.

**** me! What's this? The Mull & Sky pantomime?

Of course I read it, before the OP went on to describe his elation at sourcing biohazard, slave labour, 2 1/2 world economy, sea & road miles imported firewood, he/she also described 20 years of buying junk from chancers!

Get an oil boiler, move on!

I don't care! I got wood, it burns great!

**** me! What's this? The Mull & Sky pantomime?

Of course I read it, before the OP went on to describe his elation at sourcing biohazard, slave labour, 2 1/2 world economy, sea & road miles imported firewood, he/she also described 20 years of buying junk from chancers!

Get an oil boiler, move on!

I don't care! I got wood, it burns great!

Jings!!

Where is the man based? Surely a supplier off here could sort him out? :confused1:

I'm suspecting that Felix's post was on the money, if you have put in as much effort as the OP to register as a member and post a post that long surely You are opening yourself up to discuss further, if he went 20 years trying to find a local supplier there must be part of him that surely wants to buy local if the quality is there and where better place to find it...

I'm suspecting that Felix's post was on the money, if you have put in as much effort as the OP to register as a member and post a post that long surely You are opening yourself up to discuss further, if he went 20 years trying to find a local supplier there must be part of him that surely wants to buy local if the quality is there and where better place to find it...

Think that's what this tread is about, well done, answer?

well if its imported wood the op wants its that they get

I have stopped firewood because I cannot make money taking time to satisfy everyone however I did about ten years supplying inverness in scotland. in that time I had 64 repeat customers ordering from one truck load (2.2m3 loose this load fills about 2.7 to 3 cube bags) to lorry loads at a time about 120 cube a year was my best customer. my personal record was 14 truck loads made and delivered in one day. I did not advertise

to do this I had a good reputation by first asking the customer what size of split firewood they preferred and how chunky they wanted it

next step what species of hardwood would you like?

to make this work we had 500 ton of 'seasoned' wood ready at anyone time (seasoned, my definition, wood that had been felled and stored outside in stacks for three to four years = 20% mc with birch and beech processed quickly. i actually used the term 'dry' when describing firewood as everyone can season green oak in a month:sneaky2:) so when a customer wanted firewood I would have wood ready under cover with good air flow through the stacks at less than 18%mc. this was then cut and split manually to get proper shaped logs not mashed through a processor. if the customer was good i.e. over five years repeat orders i would stack firewood free of charge and or give free bags of kindlers (16kg nets)

the above results in very happy customers. i had my share of unhappy customers e.g. i left those logs on the lawn and then it rained and then they got wet and then they were wet, you have supplied me with wet logs. im not paying (yes i would supply and let a compete stranger post a cheque).

what killed it in the end was our product was beginning to get too expensive for folks that genuinely needed wood as a fuel to heat their homes not just a luxury. its not honest after that

in my local area theres lots of good folk so i guess it was worth doing? or maybe im just stupid but hey we all get tarred by the same brush

Indeed, but would the good suppliers in the "washed salad industry" support the rogues and bad mouth the disappointed punter?

Iam not supporting the rogues, far from it.

All Iam saying is consumers and the op have to take some responsibility.

You cant tar every firewood merchant with the same brush.

If a merchant doesn't know the size of his bags from the offset alarm bells would be ringing in my head and I wouldn't buy from them