VETcert

David Humphries

Any value in us each copying our individual surveys onto the thread as Treeseer has done above David?

Might help (or not) get the thoughts going for more people to fill in the sheet and return and might also generate discussion which could be condensed and sent into the relevant coordinator?

Anything that stimulates conversation or thinking around the subject is a positive thing.

As long as the Questionnaires are also sent in to Jim at the ATF, as that's the main reason for posting it here.

In for a penny......:

(format hasn't come across perfectly but...)

I hope it is acceptable to slightly modify the questions / responses since the format appears to provide only for responses on the basis of “practicing” or “consulting.” The issue, I think, this could present is that it presumes (a) that the 2 are mutually exclusive and (b) I’d consider “practicing” to be the operational role which might be the person with the chainsaw who may, or may not, be an inexperienced employee who would expect to be guided by a predetermined task specification. In the hope that it doesn’t unsettle the feedback data collection, I would like to present my responses on the basis that “practicing” is person with the chainsaw and that “consulting” ought to include the company owner level.

1. Does your country have a recognised definition of a veteran tree? If so, please provide below (to understand variation across partner organisations).

As defined by the Ancient Tree Forum: What are ancient, veteran and other trees of special interest | Ancient Tree Forum

2. What are the three most common places veteran trees can be found in your country (region – SW UK)?

1. Agricultural land

2. Private / public owned estate grounds

3. Private woodland

3. What are the three most common problems/conflicts which arise in relation to veteran trees in your country?

1. Conflict with commercial agricultural practice in close vicinity to tree

2. Lack of funding and awareness in private / public owned estate grounds

3. Lack of awareness / importance of the early identification of trees at the semi / mature / over mature age class to facilitate protection and transitioning to future notable / veteran / ancient trees.

4. What are the three most important things someone who works on veteran trees needs to know (knowledge)? For example:

Practicing Level (Tree Surgeon/ Forester /Contractor)

1. I’m not sure a ‘knowledge level’ is appropriate at the practicing (operator) level since it might be expected that the operator is working to a specification provided by either the tree owner or via the contracted company management structure. It’s possible that attempting to establish a training burden at the operator level could act as a financial disincentive to employers.

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Forestry inspector/ Advisor/ Company owner or manager)

1. Given that we, today, are the mechanism for ensuring availability of veteran trees of the future, the most important factor must be the ability to recognise the potential for current semi / mature trees, and the environment they exist within, to be identified, recorded and afforded due protection through the ensuing decades / centuries.

2. Passion

3. A well thumbed copy of Ancient and other veteran trees: further guidance on management

5. What are the three most important things someone who works on veteran trees should be able to do (skills)? For example:

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Forester/ Advisor/ Company owner or manager)

1. See 6B

6. Should there be any minimum conditions of entry to the accreditation scheme?

A) Number of years’ practical experience

Yes/No

If Yes, check most appropriate (double click on box)

0-2 years 0

2-5 years 0

5-10 years 0

10+ years 0

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Forester/ Advisor/ Company owner or manager)

Yes/No

If Yes, check most appropriate (double click on box)

0-2 years 

2-5 years 0

5-10 years 0

10+ years 0

B) Qualifications

Practicing Level (Tree Surgeon/Contractor)

Yes/No

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Advisor/ Company owner or manager)

Yes/No

LANTRA PTI – this would provide a broad general understanding and be a suitable springboard to further reading.

My concern would be that setting specific academic / experience / qualification ‘bars’ to accreditation could result in exclusion

1. Does your country have a recognised definition of a veteran tree? If so, please provide below (to understand variation across partner organisations).

Ancient Tree Guide No. 4 defines an ancient tree as one “that has passed beyond maturity and is old, or aged, in comparison with other trees of the same species”. Similarly, according to current guidance for use in the Ancient Tree Hunt, an ancient tree is one that has all or most of the following characteristics:

a) biological, aesthetic or cultural interest, because of its great age**

b) a growth stage that is described as ancient or post-mature

c) a chronological age that is old relative to others of the same species

Source: http://ancienttreeforum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ATF_book.pdf (page 4)

2. What are the three most common places veteran trees can be found in your country?

1. Wood pasture

2. Formal parks (carried over from old deer parks)

3. Field boundaries / hedgerows

3. What are the three most common problems/conflicts which arise in relation to veteran trees in your country?

1. Urban sprawl and other forms of development

2. Agricultural practice for the pursuit of profit

3. A lack of awareness and knowledge on how to manage their presence

4. What are the three most important things someone who works on veteran trees needs to know (knowledge)?

1. When one should and should not work on a veteran tree (i.e. time of year, following drought is a big no-no, etc)

2. The degree of works to be issued at any given time to the veteran tree (e.g. a partial crown reduction with a full reduction staggered over a period of 5-10 years)

3. How to manage the rhizosphere of the veteran tree(s)

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Forestry inspector/ Advisor)

1. How to calculate the root protection area of veteran trees

2. When it is and is not necessary to issue works to a veteran tree for the pursuit of effective risk management (i.e. no excessive or unnecessary works to be issued)

3. Signs to look out for that a veteran tree is in decline (with regards to vitality)

5. What are the three most important things someone who works on veteran trees should be able to do (skills)?

1. Undertake natural pruning / fracture cuts

2. Identify a suitable location nearby in which to place the wood removed from the tree for the purpose of ecological considerations

3. Explain what a veteran tree is and why they are important (culturally, ecologically, historically, etc)

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Forester/ Advisor)

1. Identify accurately the associated organisms with the tree (notably fungi, cavities for bats and birds and bees, late successional lichen communities, etc)

2. Explain in detail what a veteran tree is and why they are important (culturally, ecologically, historically, etc)

3. Rank the pros and cons of the particular tree in relation to its setting, identifying top priority management considerations or arboreal attributes that add or detract from the value of the tree being assessed

Yes - between 2-5 years.

Yes - between 2-5 years.

B) Qualifications

Yes - a bespoke qualification for veteran trees (such as the ATF’s veteran tree course)

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Advisor)

Yes - the Level 6 Diploma in Arboriculture or a Bachelor of Science / equivalent qualification, in addition to a bespoke course aimed at teaching consultants about veteran trees and their management (maybe can be done by LANTRA or something in conjunction with the ATF).

Setting the bar high for the consultants, eh! :001_tt2:

I was kind of lost on that "Where" query; my last big vet tree survey job was at a cemetery, http://www.springgrove.org/uploads/docs/1/Plant_Collection_Booklet_6.27.2013.pdf so I said that. We have a few private manors akin to royal properties in the UK, but not nearly as extensive.

I could have answered "Where you least expect them" but not sure if that would have helped...if you find them in orchards, say so. The survey is not scientific so I would feel free to amend it.

But it might be best for the purpose to look more for commonalities between apples and oaks and pines etc. than to draw lines of difference. Black arts??

As for posting it; why not?

Ancient Tree Guide No. 4 defines an ancient tree as one “that has passed beyond maturity and is old, or aged, in comparison with other trees of the same species”. Similarly, according to current guidance for use in the Ancient Tree Hunt, an ancient tree is one that has all or most of the following characteristics:

a) biological, aesthetic or cultural interest, because of its great age**

b) a growth stage that is described as ancient or post-mature

c) a chronological age that is old relative to others of the same species

Source: http://ancienttreeforum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ATF_book.pdf (page 4)

2. What are the three most common places veteran trees can be found in your country?

1. Wood pasture

2. Formal parks (carried over from old deer parks)

3. Field boundaries / hedgerows

1. Urban sprawl and other forms of development

2. Agricultural practice for the pursuit of profit

3. A lack of awareness and knowledge on how to manage their presence

4. What are the three most important things someone who works on veteran trees needs to know (knowledge)?

1. When one should and should not work on a veteran tree (i.e. time of year, following drought is a big no-no, etc)

2. The degree of works to be issued at any given time to the veteran tree (e.g. a partial crown reduction with a full reduction staggered over a period of 5-10 years)

3. How to manage the rhizosphere of the veteran tree(s)

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Forestry inspector/ Advisor)

1. How to calculate the root protection area of veteran trees

2. When it is and is not necessary to issue works to a veteran tree for the pursuit of effective risk management (i.e. no excessive or unnecessary works to be issued)

3. Signs to look out for that a veteran tree is in decline (with regards to vitality)

5. What are the three most important things someone who works on veteran trees should be able to do (skills)?

1. Undertake natural pruning / fracture cuts

2. Identify a suitable location nearby in which to place the wood removed from the tree for the purpose of ecological considerations

3. Explain what a veteran tree is and why they are important (culturally, ecologically, historically, etc)

1. Identify accurately the associated organisms with the tree (notably fungi, cavities for bats and birds and bees, late successional lichen communities, etc)

2. Explain in detail what a veteran tree is and why they are important (culturally, ecologically, historically, etc)

3. Rank the pros and cons of the particular tree in relation to its setting, identifying top priority management considerations or arboreal attributes that add or detract from the value of the tree being assessed

Yes - between 2-5 years.

Yes - between 2-5 years.

B) Qualifications

Yes - a bespoke qualification for veteran trees (such as the ATF’s veteran tree course)

Consulting Level (Tree inspector/ Advisor)

Yes - the Level 6 Diploma in Arboriculture or a Bachelor of Science / equivalent qualification, in addition to a bespoke course aimed at teaching consultants about veteran trees and their management (maybe can be done by LANTRA or something in conjunction with the ATF).

Setting the bar high for the consultants, eh! :001_tt2:

Format swot!!

I went back to edit my format after seeing yours.... But I'd missed the 30 min limit for editing:blushing:

• 9 months later...