poly tunnel seasoning

david lawrence

• 2 years later...

On 10/03/2017 at 21:16, Al Cormack said:

This is the sort of setup I'm looking at:

86a79d29c95867af6a9dbb3d955e1e45.jpg

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk

Did you do this? How has it worked - are you getting moisture below 20% consistently? Bearing in mind recent legislation proposals I'm wondering if this is the way to achieve 20% without loosing loads of wood to a kiln or having the cost of a kiln!

8 minutes ago, Newbie Forester said:

Did you do this? How has it worked - are you getting moisture below 20% consistently? Bearing in mind recent legislation proposals I'm wondering if this is the way to achieve 20% without loosing loads of wood to a kiln or having the cost of a kiln!

It works a dream. Wood dries quicker than being outside. I delivered some wood to a customer the other day who also had some kiln dried ash. 
we checked the moisture of each and his kiln dried ash was 14%, my poly tunnel dried oak and beech was 12%!

And a damn site cheaper!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Al Cormack said:

It works a dream. Wood dries quicker than being outside. I delivered some wood to a customer the other day who also had some kiln dried ash. 
we checked the moisture of each and his kiln dried ash was 14%, my poly tunnel dried oak and beech was 12%!

And a damn site cheaper!

Great to hear! Not just cheaper but much better for the environment and air quality. The local kiln drier to me gets 40% efficiency so he burns 40 t wood for every 100t of firewood logs.....not sure how that is better for air quality. I think it only works for him due to RHI. 

Do you process at the end of winter/spring and dry over 1 season before selling? Do you have any issues with condensation? Any tips for purchase/operation?

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Newbie Forester said:

Great to hear! Not just cheaper but much better for the environment and air quality. The local kiln drier to me gets 40% efficiency so he burns 40 t wood for every 100t of firewood logs.....not sure how that is better for air quality. I think it only works for him due to RHI. 

Do you process at the end of winter/spring and dry over 1 season before selling? Do you have any issues with condensation? Any tips for purchase/operation?

Thanks! 

I process when ever I get the chance. Split straight into ibc crates and stack two high in the poly tunnel. The lower part of the sides being mesh and the ends of the poly tunnel being open gives good airflow, so no condensation problems. And when the sun comes out it’s like a kiln inside!!

Ive had beech dry within 6 months. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Al Cormack said:

I process when ever I get the chance. Split straight into ibc crates and stack two high in the poly tunnel. The lower part of the sides being mesh and the ends of the poly tunnel being open gives good airflow, so no condensation problems. And when the sun comes out it’s like a kiln inside!!

Ive had beech dry within 6 months. 

Fantastic - Thanks for the info.