Budget today

richy_B

You're quite right there Mr E! I hadn't considered sick & mat/paternity pay. Is holiday pay in the same category or is that a part of the salary package rather than a statutory right?

Good spot!

I think paid holiday is a statutory right, for people that are employed.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be fair if the Gov paid all self employed people 5 weeks holiday pay (and public holidays as well for that matter) say at an average of their weekly pay, per year and sick pay as well. Health service staff and local and central Gov staff all get 6 months full and 6 months half pay after 5 years of employment. Even after all the cut backs of the last few years there are still tens of thousands chair shiners surplus to requirements.

They have no concept with regards to the risks or difficulties and stress of genuine self employed people. I blame the BBC for all this as their dodgy contracts allowed a lot of their high earners to wriggle out of their tax obligations with none of the genuine risks/stress of real self employment. Why it took the tax man so long to discover this we will never know!

Mike

As self employed you generally draw more per worked day than employed. Put this extra in a bank or jar and when there is a bit in here take a paid holiday. That is basically what the employed do only it is planned properly by the employer.

As self employed there is much less going to the gov in NI contributions than there is for an employee as the employer pays in a decent chunk for employees.

Not made the slightest difference to me as a self employed low earner according to this little calculator Budget calculator: How will the Budget affect you? - BBC News

One thing that has continually helped low earners in recent years is the rising threshold before you pay tax.

Ooh I'm a few pence a month up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

It would be fair if the Gov paid all self employed people 5 weeks holiday pay (and public holidays as well for that matter) say at an average of their weekly pay, per year and sick pay as well. Health service staff and local and central Gov staff all get 6 months full and 6 months half pay after 5 years of employment. Even after all the cut backs of the last few years there are still tens of thousands chair shiners surplus to requirements.

They have no concept with regards to the risks or difficulties and stress of genuine self employed people. I blame the BBC for all this as their dodgy contracts allowed a lot of their high earners to wriggle out of their tax obligations with none of the genuine risks/stress of real self employment. Why it took the tax man so long to discover this we will never know!

Mike

Bang on!!!:thumbup1:

But why go for the little people?

He should have gone for the fat cats, IMO.

Not made the slightest difference to me as a self employed low earner according to this little calculator Budget calculator: How will the Budget affect you? - BBC News

One thing that has continually helped low earners in recent years is the rising threshold before you pay tax.

£9.35 better off a month, think i'll just stick to the one pint of beer a week :thumbup1:

£9.35 better off a month, think i'll just stick to the one pint of beer a week :thumbup1:

Yes I was £8 a month better off, I don't see how much i drink has anything to do with it though, surely that's just a leisure activity as much as how often you got to the cinema of anything else? Or am I missing somit