Budget today

richy_B

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Hammond's actually done is a 2 year smash and grab on the self-employed to raise a quick £8bn. In the 2019 budget it will all be given back and more to shore up support in advance of the 2020 election as a way of presenting the government as the "party of the working man/woman".

Sort of like the "Squash and a Squeeze" book for those with kids - make things worse then when they are put back to their original state it seems like step forward.

Seems to be the case. For the self employed and LTD employing a few employees look like they will be hit hardest. If fact a double whammy if you are a LTD company as you are technically self employed as a director. Add pension contributions to that for employees, rising minimum wages and rates rises. Great, well done GOVT for fostering small business and enterprise!

I'm pretty sure you're an employee of the Ltd Co.

What an utterly rubbish budget:thumbdown:

I guess thats what happens when there is zero opposition, the tory's just aren't even trying now. I think there may be some back peddling on the NI hike.

What makes you think they will back peddle over the NI hike?

Should we get excited about equalising NI for employed V self employed?

Where the "gain" is equal shouldn't the "pain" be equal? If self employed get the same "benefit" as employed, why should they not pay the same in?

Don't get me wrong, I loathe gifting ANY of my hard earned to central government because I don't believe they are treating it with the respect it deserves (that includes the Tories but Lab / Lib Dem would be worse.)

The bad thing here is the apparent broken manifesto promise not to raise NI and the likely negative effect on future votes.

Maybe Hammond doesn't give a hoot for loosing votes whilst Lab / Lib Dem are so far out of contention?

The bad thing here is the apparent broken manifesto promise not to raise NI and the likely negative effect on future votes.

Maybe Hammond doesn't give a hoot for loosing votes whilst Lab / Lib Dem are so far out of contention?

Potentially, they are calling Labour's bluff on calling an election as they would surely lose, by the time there is an election this will have blown over/been reinstated to appear to be propping up small businesses as previously suggested.

The other side to this is that they are hoping to raise the same amount as they are spending extra on social care, whether we agree with where it's coming from or not it must be a good thing given it's dreadful current state

I'm pretty sure you're an employee of the Ltd Co.

I think from a taxation perspective you might be right. From a recent mortgage application because I own 60% or more of the LTD company I am employed by I was classified as self employed. As a company director you will benefit slightly from the increased personal tax limit but then get shafted by the lower limit on dividends.

Should we get excited about equalising NI for employed V self employed?

Where the "gain" is equal shouldn't the "pain" be equal? If self employed get the same "benefit" as employed, why should they not pay the same in?

Don't get me wrong, I loathe gifting ANY of my hard earned to central government because I don't believe they are treating it with the respect it deserves (that includes the Tories but Lab / Lib Dem would be worse.)

Is it "all equal"? We, the self employed don't get sick pay or holiday pay. Yet we will pay the same amount of those that do.

I don't mind putting my few quid in the pot when all is equal. I do mind when big corporations aren't putting their few quid in.

Is it "all equal"? We, the self employed don't get sick pay or holiday pay. Yet we will pay the same amount of those that do.

I don't mind putting my few quid in the pot when all is equal. I do mind when big corporations aren't putting their few quid in.

You're quite right there Mr E! I hadn't considered sick & mat/paternity pay. Is holiday pay in the same category or is that a part of the salary package rather than a statutory right?

Good spot!