Crane tuition wanted..

benedmonds

I have a job to take out a big dead elm, and we are going to use a crane. I have only used cranes a couple of times and my climber has never used them. He is good and very keen and has been asking me to get a crane in for a while.

If possible I would like an experienced person onsite to offer advice and tuition.

It will be on a sunday in the near future. If you are interested let me know.

[email protected]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a job to take out a big dead elm, and we are going to use a crane. I have only used cranes a couple of times and my climber has never used them. He is good and very keen and has been asking me to get a crane in for a while.

If possible I would like an experienced person onsite to offer advice and tuition.

It will be on a sunday in the near future. If you are interested let me know.

[email protected]

You can get an appointed person to come out to site the company who provide the crane should be able to point you in the right direction.

It's a ticket I've got I just need to do the cpcs refresher to be legal.

Expect to pay as much for an appointed person as the crane as the responsibility for the whole job lies with them.

Really good idea Ben,

I remember when James Hoddy joined Reg for a crane job for a day prior to doing his own first crane job.

I have some experience of knocking off dirty lumps of crack willow tied to telehandler forks with ratchet straps if that helps?

Respect to you for doing this, learn the right way. Hope you get someone, I would have offered but I'm miles o away

It's my duty of care... When it was me climbing I did not have to worry in the same way... Adam the climber is good and keen to use cranes, he loves big technical takedowns, far more then I ever did as a climber...

But you guys who use cranes rave about them so if they are half as good as some of you suggest I will start using them more. This is a pretty straight forward tree we could do without but good to practice on..

I like to get there early and while the cranes setting up pre - sling the tree so you don't have to faff about with the chains.

As high up the stem as poss to keep the weight down and the section vertical.

Ask the banksman to put 1ton of lift then 3/4 cut through horizontal then a back cut down at a 45' angle and it'll pop off.

Ask the banksman the weight after each lift and you'll start learning.

I like to get there early and while the cranes setting up pre - sling the tree so you don't have to faff about with the chains.

As high up the stem as poss to keep the weight down and the section vertical.

Ask the banksman to put 1ton of lift then 3/4 cut through horizontal then a back cut down at a 45' angle and it'll pop off.

Ask the banksman the weight after each lift and you'll start learning.

That's some serious rain man skills there, no way could I presling, beside I find chains quick and easy to set.

That's the thing I have done 20 or so crane jobs, been involved in probably another 50 or so and everyone does it slightly different.

I gave up sling and prefer chains quick efficient and easy to balance if required.

I prefer to only use experienced crane operators, never specified an amount of lift just get a feel, like you say if you go 3/4 the way through you will know if you have enough or to much tension.

A skilled crane operator is worth his weight on any tree job, had a few bad ones thankfully with our regular guy I don't even need to look at him or tell him what to do the chains will be where they are needed the tension will be right the hook in the perfect position he will even know if there is not enough tension because my saw is bogging and he always pulls the piece away carefully.

It's like rigging if you have a good rope man it's a dream, so find a good crane operator who knows tree work and he will guide you.

My first crane job 15 years ago was great some legend of a driver who told me where to place the slings and how and where to make my cuts, after a few picks it usually clicks.

That's some serious rain man skills there, no way could I presling, beside I find chains quick and easy to set.

That's the thing I have done 20 or so crane jobs, been involved in probably another 50 or so and everyone does it slightly different.

I gave up sling and prefer chains quick efficient and easy to balance if required.

I prefer to only use experienced crane operators, never specified an amount of lift just get a feel, like you say if you go 3/4 the way through you will know if you have enough or to much tension.

A skilled crane operator is worth his weight on any tree job, had a few bad ones thankfully with our regular guy I don't even need to look at him or tell him what to do the chains will be where they are needed the tension will be right the hook in the perfect position he will even know if there is not enough tension because my saw is bogging and he always pulls the piece away carefully.

It's like rigging if you have a good rope man it's a dream, so find a good crane operator who knows tree work and he will guide you.

My first crane job 15 years ago was great some legend of a driver who told me where to place the slings and how and where to make my cuts, after a few picks it usually clicks.

This^^, as has been said above make sure you've got an experienced operator it makes a huge difference, on my second crane job it all started getting a bit stressful, but the driver pretty much took over, chain here, cut there etc, love crane jobs now, smooth and efficient

I remember Jesse Colemans vid from a few months back where they had pre-slung (heli-lift, not crane), then had to work like madmen to readjust because of the weight. Job went sweet though.

The vid is on here somewhere.

I've grounded on some big crane jobs, and it's amazing how quickly you can make a big tree disappear with the right kit, a decent crew and a good operator.

Some picks worth a mornings work were layed down, slings/chains left on, sned out, and timber lifted straight into a trailer, literally within minutes.

Ben it's quite commendable that you're having a trial run on an 'easy' tree.

It will stand you in good stead in the future, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk