Shouldn't Firemen have basic felling training?

Luckyeleven

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I think they should? no ....

Do I think the MOD should stop cutting corners and go back to using arboricultural/ecology experts to do there tree surveys before some one gets seriously hurt or we loose precious endangered wild life in some of Britains last undisturbed environments? Yes.

Guess every site will be different, but I was working on one a year or so back and it had some really well done tree reports and I could not argue with any of the recommendations for work done by an expert, it was a pleasure to work there and carry it out.

Now it's being done by some one with very limited knowledge in both Arb and ecology in what I'm guessing is just a money saving exercise.

The Pompier are jack of all trades, firemen, paramedics and also by the whole part timers.

Most will probably have cut their own firewood for years thus qualified by not dying in a wood.

Its the same with the Commune workers, they cut trees, prune trees, plant trees, fix the roads and local buildings.

I have been trying to get my name in with them for a few years but it all seems to be wrapped up with Jean Pierre that went to school with the friend of my uncles nephews sister in laws mum.

Bon courage

Darren:confused1:

Many years ago me and a colleague were asked to deliberately fell a tree ( fairly large oak ) on to a car in a field so the Fire Service can practice extracting a casualty with guidance in use of chainsaws , ... my colleague felled the tree ....and it missed the car !!!! a long low branch caused it to roll sideways , so we dragged it elsewhere a felled a big leylandii on to it , and then you could not see the car .the day was considered very worthwhile though by all concerned ...I would imagine nowadays with how exacting with H&S and bureaucracy the Fire service is it would be very difficult and costly to train many to a high enough standard to deal with problematic scenarios that are rarely encountered , has anyone ever been called out to help in such a case ?