Depression

eggsarascal

I'm a bit baffled (only a bit mind) by those writing off medication?

I know it may "feel wrong" to "eat pills to sort out thoughts" but that's just misinformed reactionism.

The brain works in many mysterious ways, and chemicals play a very import role in it's functioning, readdressing a serious imbalance with chemicals taken in pills can really help sort you out.

I've suffered depression for many years, first saw a psychiatrist over 30 years ago (consider I've just turned 37...) and not too long ago I fell into the deepest trough I've known. Wanted to kill myself as my life was such a burden on myself and others, would have done so more than once, but coincidence saved me several times (I'd be dead now if it wasn't for my Dog!)

I was literally lying on the floor, crying for help but unable to actually go find some for a long time. Managed to drag myself to the GP, got happy pills, ate them, felt shite, numb, no more anxiety attacks but no joy either.

It was rough as, but by eating them I was able to explore other avenues of help, and then slowly wean myself off them again.

I'm now on top again, feeling better than ever. And though I really hated eating them I'd have not lived without their help.

Asking for help and advice, here, from friends/family, from your GP etc is an excellent begin to getting sorted. But nobody but you knows the actual solution.

Diet can play a massive role.

All the chemicals that regulate your brain have to be metabolised from the food you eat, so changes in food can make a big difference.

People's bodies absorb nutrients differently, therefore different diets can effect people in very different ways. And just like people get allergies where the body reacts to certain foods, some bodies are much more or less able to metabolise the nutrients taken in into the right balanced mix of chemicals needed for "normal" brain function.

To get this sorted solely through diet can work, but to find out exactly what your individual body needs is not easy. It is a vastly under-researched field of sience. Big pharma makes meds, Big Farma makes food and never the twain shall meet...

I can put you in touch with some people that can try to help you, psychologically or physically, pm me if you like.

• Like 1

Everyone's different but I feel your pain eggs, you can have everything and not truly be happy, there's something deep dark inside trying to pull you down.

I battle my demons every day, tried / talked one head person even said I was possessed . Tablets do they work.....yes and no, tbh I don't know anymore.

Anyway find something to stimulate your mind (electric shock don't work 😁), out of your normal routine.

You've had one offer to join Mark and Joe in a tent.

• Like 1

Hello dude, have a looksy on YouTube at vids about neuroplasticity and meditation. Think of the brain as a muscle, if you wanted bigger biceps, you'd lift weights and you'd defo get them, if you want to raise your baseline happiness, meditate and that will happen [emoji2]

Also have a gander at the Wim Hof breathing method, it's pretty darn amazing [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Like 1

Your among friends in here Eggs and by the looks of it a lot of people suffer! I was diagnosed about 7 yrs ago with depression, looking back I sort of knew there was issues when i was young, been through some dark times over the years but family have supported me and along with medication I get by. I find motivation the hardest thing now, that and lack of energy, some days I could just sleep for days and do bugger all but I make myself do things, fortunately I employ 2 full time guys and they sort of drag me along and keep me going. Hope you get better soon Eggs, be good to see you at the Arb show and I will buy you a drink.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

Sorry to here it eggs - it's good to see plenty of positive posts and encouragement on here when people need it.

It almost makes it harder when all the boxes in your life are ticked. As you can then kick yourself with thoughts of 'I have no right to feel this way looking at my life'.

It's probably in all our basic make up - our resting state is to be unhappy - for survival. If we were happy and content then we wouldn't do much... In our country we have most of our basic needs met - it actually takes away meaning in our lives.

(my missus has been a therapist for 16 years and the above is from her).

So I suppose what I'm saying is don't be hard on yourself - just because it seems like you have everything you need in life doesn't mean you will feel fulfilled. It's normal for us all. Often with depression we get down and then finish the job by constantly telling poisonous nonsense to ourselves... that is something in you can control. Give yourself a break.

:001_smile:

• Like 1

Hello dude, have a looksy on YouTube at vids about neuroplasticity and meditation. Think of the brain as a muscle, if you wanted bigger biceps, you'd lift weights and you'd defo get them, if you want to raise your baseline happiness, meditate and that will happen [emoji2]

Also have a gander at the Wim Hof breathing method, it's pretty darn amazing [emoji106]

I watched a short documentary on Win Hof just the other night . Didn't know about his breathing techniques but came across it through cold therapy techniques and in my instance cold showering . I did this all last summer and felt great , no muscle soreness , quick recovery times , good for the brain etc

Combine this with good diet and breathing techniques I reckon this would go a long way into feeling good again ...

I watched a short documentary on Win Hof just the other night . Didn't know about his breathing techniques but came across it through cold therapy techniques and in my instance cold showering . I did this all last summer and felt great , no muscle soreness , quick recovery times , good for the brain etc

Combine this with good diet and breathing techniques I reckon this would go a long way into feeling good again ...

It's pretty amazing what it does to you. I've been meditating for quite a few years now and have reached some pretty amazing states. What I've found with the Wim Hof breathing is, if I do three rounds of it and then go straight into meditation, it's roughly the same as if I'd been meditating for around 50mins, but only takes about 15mins. There's been quite a lot of scientific tests done a folk that have done his method for four days and the results are very interesting!

For a while I helped at the local buddhist centre with their meditation classes. The main thing that stuck out was that around 80% of the folk that came, came due to depression or stress, and over the 8 week course virtually all of them were transformed, some to the point where I could hardly recognise them. The ones that didn't seem to change had one thing in common, they didn't think they had the time to spend 20 mins a day meditating.

It's amazing how much time meditation frees up in a day, which would usually be spent on pointless thinking [emoji106]

Win hof is a great example of a guy who had lost everything and fought back and won. I also started the cold shower and breathing techniques after I finally gave up smoking and it's worked great.

Its such a complicated thing, everyone affected presents a different picture. Can be dietary, real-world problem related, unconscious suppression related, chemical, genetic, sunlight/vitamin induced - or a combination. I was depressed as a kid, and think homeopathic treatment helped me, but it may have been just naturally growing up and change of circumstances.

Theres also a type of depression where the sufferer doesn't really feel "sad" as such - rather just totally empty, no energy or motivation. That's what gets me from time to time, not seasonal or weather related. Its a mystery. I generally just ride it out, but then I don't have rent to pay so its easy to slack off.

In former times depression was called melancholia. It must have always been with us, think of all the stories of people dying of a broken heart and so on. I would suggest finding a reputable homeopath and asking for your "constitutional remedy" - many will scoff but those who have experienced the benefits don't.

Do you use tobacco Eggs? If not, you could also try an experiment - chew half a 2mg nicorette gum and see what happens. Nicotine is a powerful mood stabiliser in small doses, and not harmful in its pharmaceutical from, unlike cigs. Its going down the same road as doctors pills, but at least you know where you stand with nicotine. Best wishes.

I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one that is as mad as a balloon.

The thought of seeing Ian C's face when he's handing over a fiver to get me a pint is priceless.

The down side is thinking about sharing a tent with Bolam and Newton...... That's just wrong in so many ways.

Thanks for the reply's.

• Haha 1