Cookes 10 ton winch

chopper brown

For my Cooks winch I used this Co; Bristol Rope and Twine Co.

Mine was attached to a County.

There is another good co but it's eight years since the machine was sold so I'm having trouble remembering. All I know is they were near Slough.

I only ever had 100' max on the drum else it became jammed. I used to have another 100' spare on an old rope drum for those jobs that needed it. 7/8" (22mm) is fine. You can wind the extra on for carrying but don't try anything other than light pulls and even then you may get a jam.

Looking at your tractor, please fit a roll bar as I've seen many a tip over (not mine I may add) and 'elf & safety requires that you fit a mesh in case you suffer cable/shackle breakage.

I could pull a loaded timber wagon out of a hole but sometimes the towing eye came adrift from said wagon! Beware.

Beware of broken strands!

codlasher

For my Cooks winch I used this Co; Bristol Rope and Twine Co.

Mine was attached to a County.

There is another good co but it's eight years since the machine was sold so I'm having trouble remembering. All I know is they were near Slough.

I only ever had 100' max on the drum else it became jammed. I used to have another 100' spare on an old rope drum for those jobs that needed it. 7/8" (22mm) is fine. You can wind the extra on for carrying but don't try anything other than light pulls and even then you may get a jam.

Looking at your tractor, please fit a roll bar as I've seen many a tip over (not mine I may add) and 'elf & safety requires that you fit a mesh in case you suffer cable/shackle breakage.

I could pull a loaded timber wagon out of a hole but sometimes the towing eye came adrift from said wagon! Beware.

Beware of broken strands!

codlasher

Broken strands damage hands or so the big poster in the workshop use to say.

As you say if the tractor is used for work rather than pay it is required to have a roll bar under PUWER. Also the winch has moving parts that should be guarded under PUWER as well.

I've seen and snapped many a winch cable. I've also seen the snapped choaker go through a tractor cab!

As for getting a winch cable Anglia handling in Biggleswade are very helpful.

That's another two good places to try and thanks again for everyone's input.

At the very least I can take away the fact that the 14mm rope that is fitted isn't worth a toss.

It's not my major pictured as I do have a roll bar but no mesh guard I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advise all the same.

Jim

That's another two good places to try and thanks again for everyone's input.

At the very least I can take away the fact that the 14mm rope that is fitted isn't worth a toss.

It's not my major pictured as I do have a roll bar but no mesh guard I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advise all the same.

Jim

I think it depends on the construction of the cable. The 11mm i have in my tirfor has an SWL of 1500kg but has a tested MBS of around 8 tonne if memory serves.

I think i have 11mm in my fransgard which is 6.5t and i use to work with a 9.5t which was 13mm. All to do with how the cable is layed...

I would say no, these old winches are massively over engineered and pull far more than their designated rating. The old clunker of a boughton on my Nuffield can break a 1" steel rope which in theory it should never achieve. Err on the side of caution and go bigger.

Bob

That's especially true of the 7.5 tonne winch on a Matador!

Ted, the chap that did my loloading before he retired, said the cookes with the open gears pulled more than the 10tonne Boughton but the gears would break in very cold weather. He knew as he'd come out of the army and worked extracting timber until the boss got out of timber, finding formula one more lucrative.

I would terminate with a wedge eye socket but a soft eye splice works well with a C hook

That's especially true of the 7.5 tonne winch on a Matador!

Ted, the chap that did my loloading before he retired, said the cookes with the open gears pulled more than the 10tonne Boughton but the gears would break in very cold weather. He knew as he'd come out of the army and worked extracting timber until the boss got out of timber, finding formula one more lucrative.

I would terminate with a wedge eye socket but a soft eye splice works well with a C hook

Sure enough Ken was a legend, dont mention the C hook :)

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/stolen-equipment/74268-meooksgawn.html

Bob