Should utility company remove tree?

tom_cass

Question

Hi All

I hope someone with an understanding of utility company\tree management responsibility can spare a minute to help me here.

We have a large tree outside our house which has the electricity line passing very close, less than a metre from the trunk. Hopefully this is visible on the attachment. The line ends with our house btw. The electricity company contractors were out recently and as you can see trimmed some branches near to the line. I understand the power companies have a responsibility to manage trees which are close to power lines. My question is should they have actually cut the tree down or is their responsibility satisfied by cutting back a few branches? Are there some guidelines on what the 'best practice' is here, I have not been able to find something online.

I ask this as ultimately the tree will need taking down (its too big/blocks the light/damages the drains/etc) and if i can avoid having to pay for this myself then great...otherwise...I will be needing someone with a head for heights to get this done.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Regards Tom

20170217_153100.jpg.ff6858a9c996625fefbdd14108ad083c.jpg

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Yes, its an LV cable, chances are they won't take the tree down for you since its not affecting the cable.

For my own interest, how do you go for liability if your tree damages a utility - poewr or telephone cables? Do they take the hit or do they claim on the tree owner (thinking tree falling on them etc)

Only viewing on my phone so can't really see if it's a bare copper service line or abc, is it a single strand wire or 3 or 4 interwoven strands? If it's abc (aerial bundled cable you won't have much luck with the power company, if its a bare copper service line then give them a ring. Looks like a minimum clearance standard through prune to me so doubt you'll see them for another 3 or 4 years. If it's down to you make sure the arborist who undertakes this job is UA certified, however give the power company a ring as they may want to shut down the power for the work be done. Let us know how you get on

Why do you have to be UA certified? We have felled lots of trees near LV and HV Lines, a quick call to them with some pics and a map and they are usually happy to carry out a shutdown so we can remove the tree. Have even removed trees near mini local supermarkets and they have provided generators for them and usually about 50 guys who then spend the rest of the day sat in trucks watching us.

To the original poster, unfortunately I doubt you will have much luck pursuing the power company, we have tried many times on the customers behalf and it's a no go, in fact sometimes they even mention it's the owners responsabilty to ensure their tree is safe.

As for your tree it would be a shame to lose it, the light issue is unfortunate but I doubt (obviously not knowing the full circumstances) any other damage would be caused to your property, at the end of the day though if it's your property your free to do as you please (and if your local I'd be happy to provide a quote but don't tell anyone here as they will think I am a ruthless assassin)

Thanks for all the posts (yes all of them :-) ) My original question has been answered.

The tree is only about 40 years old, the previous owner planted it (so he told me) so the electric line would have been there before the house.

Branches are almost touching the house and we have have underground sewage pipe damage.(10m away from the house mind) I also have to consider the insurance aspect of a tree 2-3 times the size of house so close, 8m or so from the house.

Yes its a very nice tree, shame it was not planted with more foresight as to how big it would be one day.

We have extensive woods on two sides of the peoperty, plus a couple nice oak and douglas fir in the garden, so we are not lacking for native species of tree near by.

So...anyone out there covering S Shropshire?

Regards Tom.

How old is the tree?

How old is the line run?

How old is the house?

How long have you lived there?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks for all the posts (yes all of them :-) ) My original question has been answered.

The tree is only about 40 years old, the previous owner planted it (so he told me) so the electric line would have been there before the house.

Branches are almost touching the house and we have have underground sewage pipe damage.(10m away from the house mind) I also have to consider the insurance aspect of a tree 2-3 times the size of house so close, 8m or so from the house.

Yes its a very nice tree, shame it was not planted with more foresight as to how big it would be one day.

We have extensive woods on two sides of the peoperty, plus a couple nice oak and douglas fir in the garden, so we are not lacking for native species of tree near by.

So...anyone out there covering S Shropshire?

Regards Tom.

Thanks Tom, much more clarity now.

I would go with Fens suggestion below your last post.

Reduction isn't really an option with this species, and sadly, in your situation a removal seems prudent.

Do check for a TPO though, and replanting some decent specimens in more sensible locations would be a nice gesture.

Why do you have to be UA certified? We have felled lots of trees near LV and HV Lines, a quick call to them with some pics and a map and they are usually happy to carry out a shutdown so we can remove the tree. Have even removed trees near mini local supermarkets and they have provided generators for them and usually about 50 guys who then spend the rest of the day sat in trucks watching us.

Well, well done you...

Because in this price sensitive world which we seem to be in right now, I've noticed a lot of home owners going with the cheapest quote & round here that'll be the gypos. Just because you rock up in hi viz & a shiny new truck doesn't mean they know what their doing. Surely you wouldn't want anyone to get injured or killed taking a tree down next to a live line?! The op may not be aware of the different nptc certificates & that's what I was trying to do so hopefully he won't get a cowboy in.

Well, well done you...

Because in this price sensitive world which we seem to be in right now, I've noticed a lot of home owners going with the cheapest quote & round here that'll be the gypos. Just because you rock up in hi viz & a shiny new truck doesn't mean they know what their doing. Surely you wouldn't want anyone to get injured or killed taking a tree down next to a live line?! The op may not be aware of the different nptc certificates & that's what I was trying to do so hopefully he won't get a cowboy in.

Bit strong, that

Thanks Tom, much more clarity now.

I would go with Fens suggestion below your last post.

Reduction isn't really an option with this species, and sadly, in your situation a removal seems prudent.

Do check for a TPO though, and replanting some decent specimens in more sensible locations would be a nice gesture.

You got no chance of getting that past the TOs at Shropshire County. You wont get far with the damage to the sewer approach.