Should utility company remove tree?

tom_cass

Question

Hi All

I hope someone with an understanding of utility company\tree management responsibility can spare a minute to help me here.

We have a large tree outside our house which has the electricity line passing very close, less than a metre from the trunk. Hopefully this is visible on the attachment. The line ends with our house btw. The electricity company contractors were out recently and as you can see trimmed some branches near to the line. I understand the power companies have a responsibility to manage trees which are close to power lines. My question is should they have actually cut the tree down or is their responsibility satisfied by cutting back a few branches? Are there some guidelines on what the 'best practice' is here, I have not been able to find something online.

I ask this as ultimately the tree will need taking down (its too big/blocks the light/damages the drains/etc) and if i can avoid having to pay for this myself then great...otherwise...I will be needing someone with a head for heights to get this done.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Regards Tom

20170217_153100.jpg.ff6858a9c996625fefbdd14108ad083c.jpg

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Your tree, your responsibility Tom.

The Utility company have a responsibility to "keep the line clear" for supply, usually by doing the minimum work necessary, albeit they will undertake tree removals in some instances if the work is so drastic it disfigures the tree or renders it unsafe.

It looks a wonderful tree, a Coast Redwood?, granted I don't have to endure its nuisances but please think it through carefully and take good advice...doubtless someone will be along shortly to offer exactly such.

Regards,

Paul

The power line looks to be low voltage, in which case this is commonplace where the conductors can be as little as a metre from the main stem. Yes the clearance should be greater, but in reality there is not enough funds for the contractor to to remove every tree this close aswell as myself thinking that that would be morally wrong on an environmental level.

However, if it is in your favour to have this tree removed, your local dno will either have to carry out the work themself or switch (isolate) the power out so that you or your tree surgeon can carry out the work safely. Strictly speaking untrained operatives without the dno's consent should not work within 2 tree lengths or 9 metres (whichever is greater) of live conductors.

Approach your dno and try and get them to carry out this work foc for you if this is what you want.

Looks to be another case of, il buy this house with a nice big tree in the garden, ahh thetree is dropping leaves all over my lawn, I must chop it down. Ohh it's blocking all the light, But one must ask, was it big and blocking the light when you bought the house? To remove a redwood of that size (if in good health) would be a real shame, and in response to your actual question, no, it is the dno's responsibility to keep there network clear and that is all.

Hi All

I hope someone with an understanding of utility company\tree management responsibility can spare a minute to help me here.

We have a large tree outside our house which has the electricity line passing very close, less than a metre from the trunk. Hopefully this is visible on the attachment. The line ends with our house btw. The electricity company contractors were out recently and as you can see trimmed some branches near to the line. I understand the power companies have a responsibility to manage trees which are close to power lines. My question is should they have actually cut the tree down or is their responsibility satisfied by cutting back a few branches? Are there some guidelines on what the 'best practice' is here, I have not been able to find something online.

I ask this as ultimately the tree will need taking down (its too big/blocks the light/damages the drains/etc) and if i can avoid having to pay for this myself then great...otherwise...I will be needing someone with a head for heights to get this done.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Regards Tom

The bad news is that you are still on the hook for the tree, the worse news is that there will be hoops for your contractor to deal with.

Only viewing on my phone so can't really see if it's a bare copper service line or abc, is it a single strand wire or 3 or 4 interwoven strands? If it's abc (aerial bundled cable you won't have much luck with the power company, if its a bare copper service line then give them a ring. Looks like a minimum clearance standard through prune to me so doubt you'll see them for another 3 or 4 years. If it's down to you make sure the arborist who undertakes this job is UA certified, however give the power company a ring as they may want to shut down the power for the work be done. Let us know how you get on