T540 tank replacement

Doobop

Hi all I need to replace the tank/ handle assembly on my t540xp, have any of you done this? If so is it difficult is there any videos of it or should I just let someone else do it?

As an aside . Is it a Mk 1 ? If so you might as well replace the belly pan and rear AV spring with the updated parts while it apart . If its a Mk 2 then you will have all that already .

As per above yes if you have an early machine then it would benifit the new upgraded parts. Also make sure your replacement tank is the correct one for your saw either mark one or two as there are two tanks.

As for difficulty, there isn't anything hard about it just fiddly if you have not done one before. Takes me about 35-40 mins to change one but then again I work with them everyday. My best advise is make sure you get the wiring in the correct slots and routed correctly without that the trigger won't fit properly and it won't return. Be careful not to crush any wires.

I ordered the replacement tank from skyland equipment but there wasn't any option about 1st or2nd generation but mine is the earlier model!! Confused now!!!

There are slight changes in how the handle wiring is fitted and pressed inside the handle hence two tank assembly's

• 4 years later...
2 minutes ago, adw said:

There is only one tank, the new tank will come with a new shaped cover for the wireing, it's not easy first time round, there shoul also be the fixing hole for the limiter wire on the new tank.

Hi Andrew . Did they actually fit the limiting wire in the end . I still have the parts ( fitted ) that you so generously sent me ( way back when ) comprising of the strengthened "  grey belly plate " ( av mount ) and the barrel shaped AV spring  . These seem to solve the problem .

They played with the limiter, the early one was a wire, the later one was /is a webbing strap, the early fuel tank does not have the fixixing hole on the l/h side of the saw, one end fits under a starter cover screw the other with a screw to the tank.

• Thanks 1

Just now, adw said:

They played with the limiter, the early one was a wire, the later one was /is a webbing strap, the early fuel tank does not have the fixixing hole on the l/h side of the saw, one end fits under a starter cover screw the other with a screw to the tank.

I only saw the prototype  braided wire version . If you remember I tried a version with a cable tie that I made myself !