Fail. Sling crash.

Alexandr Fedoseev

Just watched the video again. Was the same sling used for taking the heavy timber down that was used for lowering the smaller branches??

There looked to be around 50% of the branches that were badly unbalanced and spun round causing a bit of a shock load to the sling. Could this be a factor??

Fan of chains personally on cranes

Fan of chains - not translated, explain what it means.

Slings were two, but the exact same. The breaking load of about 5 tons. It turned out that the lines were kept at high humidity, it is possible to reduce its performance.

I agree, balancing of branches is not adjusted well. I will improve this skill. Is there any methodical literature on working with a crane?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen loads of slings go usaly lifting cold rolled packs and a bite been used causing it to cut through only ever seen one chain break and that was on a demolition job where the colum had one nit left on the holding down plate the Crain was a 200t and light chains were been used on columns the driver had his head right over the colum the chain was left stretched so much that it stood up.

Did wake the driver up.

Seen stuff fall because an open chain was used before the days of gates

I ask you once again to write so that I can translate. Thank you.

It's hard to judge but looking at the video and the size of the timber in relation to you and the length of it it could of weighed 3ton, that looks like a 3 ton maybe 5ton sling which is choked so lowering its strength, I presume you used it throughout the job it appeared to take a few shock loads potentially weakening the fibres, also did the crane driver load it up before pick? Had a crane driver once who liked to tension the hell out of everything I cut, bits were jumping everywhere - a few words at break and to crane company and we never had him again.

All this just a guess on my part.

To be fair most of the time when craning we use 2 slings to be on the safe side. I have only ever once used a single soft sling on a big pick and that was with a driver I know well and trusted.

Yes, I agree with you. Two lines is absolutely the right decision. We offered this option the driver of the crane, it was necessary to insist on his own. Later we picked up this piece again, showing PC 2300 kg.

Fair play to you Alex for posting this Video. We don't normally show our mistakes. As some have already said the previous shock loading of the slings when taking down the limbs would not have helped. One of the advantages of using a crane is the system does not get shock loaded if the branches are cradled and verticals are obviously lifted from the top. The crane should not have to rip off pieces that are not cut completely/ step cut. The quality and loading of the slings in another matter! We always use the same slings for crane work as their history is known - never been shock loaded! We continue to learn:thumbup:

Yes, I agree with you. Two lines is absolutely the right decision. We offered this option the driver of the crane, it was necessary to insist on his own. Later we picked up this piece again, showing PC 2300 kg.

2300kg so I wasn't to far off then, to little safety margin then.

Still your okay that's the most important thing and thanks for sharing your experience.

Super entertaining vid Alex.

The crane work defiantly left something to be desired though.

those picks were all over the place and downright scary (albeit entertaining ).

always use two slings or chains man, its safer, doesn't take much more time to do and you can balance your picks better.

Glad nothing is damaged and everyone is ok.

Thanks for sharing.