criteria of splicing

Maxi90

I'm struggling with burying the splice. It needs so much power to do. Do you ahve advice for me?

I spliced a used yale xtc (tight cover even when it's new) that was a pain.

If I remember I attach the tail to a fix point at bely hight, attach a carabiner to the eye and to the belt. Then hammer the cover with a plastic mallet and/or massage it to the sideways before pulling it.

Used ropa + tight cover = pita, but not impossible ofc

edit: found it better to give "pull strikes" after massaging/hammering the bury than just "straight pull force", hope it makes sense.

Edited by Arrozdoce

I'm struggling with burying the splice. It needs so much power to do. Do you ahve advice for me?

Use a dead blow hammer, flex the core back and forward as you're doing it and keep tension on the eye. Get a pair of gloves and keep tension on the eye and kind of 'jerk' the cover over. Stitching the crossover helps!!:thumbup1:

16 strand Tommy, no cross over.

I actually find 16 strand pretty easy to do, you just need to keep everything nice and neat and smooth, first form the eye and get that right with the help of a mallet if needs be, when it comes to pulling the cover past the core make sure you pass the fid through on on side of the inner core, make sure the fid is moving freely before attempting to pull the cover through, if need be pull some extra cover from the knotted end to give you tad more room, cut a small amount of the cover threads then fold the over the fid keeping the shorter ends trapped by the longer threads, this will form a neater taper to pull through the rope. Ok so now for the good trick, as you pull the cover through between cover and core at the same time pull the core that you have previously removed from the rope this helps massively in getting the core and cover to slide past each over.

I can do this splice just using hands and feet, i dont tie it off at all.

Ah i forgot to add, make sure the very tip of your fid is slightly bent, then you can feel the fid against the inside of the cover and this helps not to catch any inner strands.

Edited by High Scale

I actually find 16 strand pretty easy to do, you just need to keep everything nice and neat and smooth, first form the eye and get that right with the help of a mallet if needs be, when it comes to pulling the cover past the core make sure you pass the fid through on on side of the inner core, make sure the fid is moving freely before attempting to pull the cover through, if need be pull some extra cover from the knotted end to give you tad more room, cut a small amount of the cover threads then fold the over the fid keeping the shorter ends trapped by the longer threads, this will form a neater taper to pull through the rope. Ok so now for the good trick, as you pull the cover through between cover and core at the same time pull the core that you have previously removed from the rope this helps massively in getting the core and cover to slide past each over.

Ah i forgot to add, make sure the very tip of your fid is slightly bent, then you can feel the fid against the inside of the cover and this helps not to catch any inner strands.

My bad. I didn't read the whole thread properly:blushing:. Same as this though, daisy chain the core strands as well to prevent getting in a right mess.

Screenshot_2017-03-03-19-09-42.jpg.1564ede4dce907134303d5ce84eb8ba4.jpg

I spliced a used yale xtc (tight cover even when it's new) that was a pain.

If I remember I attach the tail to a fix point at bely hight, attach a carabiner to the eye and to the belt. Then hammer the cover with a plastic mallet and/or massage it to the sideways before pulling it.

Used ropa + tight cover = pita, but not impossible ofc

edit: found it better to give "pull strikes" after massaging/hammering the bury than just "straight pull force", hope it makes sense.

Yale xtc isnt that bad

I'd recommend newbies to splicing have a go on New England hi-vee

Thank you very much. I think this will help me a lot :thumbup: