Rigging down stems with Rigging Rings

Clicky

I don't think they are a step back, but they would be if you didn't have blocks in your kitbag as well.

I don't have any, because I have muckle knots in some of my rigging lines instead of splices.

I still use crotches or krabs if it suits the situation. Whatever the job demands to finish quick and safe.

Jesse I have some 9 year old Portland Braid that I could use a tight splice in if you fancy it?

We've hardly ever used it for towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Send it over mate . Ben is coming over in a couple of weeks, I usually force feed him german beer to get the more gnarly and dirty ropes spliced efficiently ........ mind you "we" (he) has done a dirty tachyon and cougar of mine so your portland braid will probably be a walk in the park :001_rolleyes:

Did you say crabby crotches when it suits ?

I'll use the rings occasionally as a quick re-direct or for lighter rigging. Over the years of working in trees you become familiar with the way blocks and pulleys behave and react to loads, the addition of the rings (extra friction) into the system is a development I'm not that interest in (having previously used old style topping down strops for taking the heads out of trees years back). The rings have a place in treework, but I wouldn't base a serious rigging system around them for regular big removals.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=754CMW4PGXI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=754CMW4PGXI[/ame]

I don't!

Rich and Jesse, if you have any more photo's of your ring setups that would be cool.

I looked at it but the price of the double beast ring and tenet was more than a block and dead eye!

I will have a nosey through and see what i can find Joe.

the 19 mm tenex is plenty big enough for most negative situations i come across , the blue is 24 mm and could handle a house being dropped on it.

Rings all day every day. I use pulleys every now and then for lifting purposes but thats about it.

Rings are so much lighter and easier to install on large did stems, don't get why anyone would bother with a block.

There has been some very serious negative lowering done with my rings the last few years and I'm yet to break a rope:001_tt2:

Nice big ring you have Jesse, never broke a rope yet either well apart from when Uncle Q told me it would fit and it didn't he is the worst groundsman i have ever met mind.

To be fair I have never snatched anything big on rings to make a fair judgement all I know is I bought rings for the guys and hardly see them used as everyone still seems to use a block.

and like Scotspine maybe I and we are to stuck in ways good old Dinosaur Rope Technique and blocks it is then, nice run on that video Scotspine.

Edited by Marc

Couldn't agree more mate they won't have it on hear though still stuck thinking it's a step backwards 😪 wear are u in Germany i fly out tomorrow to dusseldorf just till Saturday night 12 ash to take down round a church they are desperate to get em down as it's Bird season now are they as strict all Germany with Bird nesting

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Im in Heidelberg, not to far away from there. I'm away this weekend but if your over any other time , give me a buzz on here.

I will have a nosey through and see what i can find Joe.

the 19 mm tenex is plenty big enough for most negative situations i come across , the blue is 24 mm and could handle a house being dropped on it.

Good point. I'm gonna need a bigger fid.

Cheers dude.

If you have to snatch a load with the rings ie not let it run due to a roof etc this for me is where the rings fall short of blocks because the load isn't as even on each leg of the rigging line due to the friction at the rings.

But is there less force at B? I personally would prefer the load spread out along the entire length of rope, but plenty of climbers snatching out big lumps on rings and loving them so whatever tool you prefer I suppose.