Rigging down stems with Rigging Rings

Clicky

They have their uses, we have them and use them but they are no quicker or easier to instal.

For redirects I think they are great but they feel like they impart to much friction.

When it comes to snatching I prefer a pulley the larger diameter i.e. greater bend radius I find more reassuring.

Really keen to try the safety block but having seen those go wrong blowing climbers off spikes doesn't fill me with confidence, also your loading such a small length of line initially albeit doubled where as a large radius pulley you would hope would allow a greater amount of the force to be spread along the entire length of the line.

I realise you can double the rings increasing the bend radius, and account for the friction, although on a lot of really skinny stuff snatching I find sometimes even one wrap on the bollard is to much, and anything requiring 2 or 3 is pretty darn big and again imparting load on small section of line.

Again like others have said it seems a step backwards might as well crack out the hairy nelson and thimble from the deepest darkest corner of the yard at least that polyprop took dynamic loading well..

Still hard to ignore all those singing the praises of the rings.

Maybe Mullets will come back?

Not easier to install well I guess I am installing them different and as for a step backwards what a load of poo but I think everyone has there own preferred equipment some like stihl chainsaws there is no accounting for taste 😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Not easier to install well I guess I am installing them different and as for a step backwards what a load of poo but I think everyone has there own preferred equipment some like stihl chainsaws there is no accounting for taste 😂

1488258640848.jpg.74a0302ebd88ad2eddc785762ddee503.jpg no easier to install 😉

[ATTACH]217461[/ATTACH] no easier to install 😉

We have rings, plenty of rings including a cambium saver type like the one you've pictured, and I whilst it is handy for remote installs hence its purchase it gets used very rarely.

The step backwards comments are based upon the fact that it was not all that long ago that trees where rigged using large shackles or big steel thimbles, moving to rigging pulleys was seen as progress.

Don't get me wrong I like rings we have a full range of them, although we still mostly use pulleys as I stand by my comments that they are just as easy to use.

We have rings, plenty of rings including a cambium saver type like the one you've pictured, and I whilst it is handy for remote installs hence its purchase it gets used very rarely.

The step backwards comments are based upon the fact that it was not all that long ago that trees where rigged using large shackles or big steel thimbles, moving to rigging pulleys was seen as progress.

Don't get me wrong I like rings we have a full range of them, although we still mostly use pulleys as I stand by my comments that they are just as easy to use.

O I remember those days of shackles I learned to climb on three strand I unfortunately have been around a long time any how we all like what we like neither is rong just different taste

I use both, but I like pulleys, seem quicker to Install for redirects not having to thread the rope through as I rope with carabiners, slings and a Sherrill bone thing. But I do use a shizll which I have to say I love especially on trees where it's the only lowering point needed. But since getting a Winch bollard I feel to many rings dotted around adds a lot more friction than pulleys. All depends on the type of work I guess

I use both, but I like pulleys, seem quicker to Install for redirects not having to thread the rope through as I rope with carabiners, slings and a Sherrill bone thing. But I do use a shizll which I have to say I love especially on trees where it's the only lowering point needed. But since getting a Winch bollard I feel to many rings dotted around adds a lot more friction than pulleys. All depends on the type of work I guess

Get a spliced eye on the end of ur lowering lines just as easy to install then 😉

Bigtreedon what configurations have you got your rings in?

Whoopi with beast rings multiple re directs with the 28x20 rings the are just spliced on to a single piece of tenex I also have a retrievable from the ground sling made up of a beast ring and a 28x20 that is a very handy piece of kit when u have trees next to the one u are removing or working on can set a craning point from the ground and work straight away without climbing multiple trees and then remove from the ground when finished