Using a Winch

sargan

Why do the stumps have to be removed ? can you not plant in between them ?

Good option, but if the customer wants them gone then it's a shame to turn money down, the OP needs to get the stumps gone and make a few quid on top

I don't see this as a problem I see this as an earner

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1600 tirfor and have used it for all sorts of tasks, very versatile.

For 80 trees as has been said it would be far too slow. I used to have a pto winch on a landrover and that did a number of tree pulling out jobs no problem. With it being gearbox driven you could run it all day if you had the fuel (V8!!!!!).

If I still had it then I reckon with a decent tree behind for an anchor and a few snatch blocks I could have done at least most of what you need in one day but unfortunately I don't still have it.

Would it be worth contacting your local landrover club (or similar) to see if there was a member with a pto or hydraulic (electric is not up to this job) winch willing to help out for a day?

You are too far for us, which is a shame, going on what information you have provided, our Carlton 7015trx would have 80 8" stumps out in about hour, so 2 hours on site with getting on top of the bank and clean up and about a mornings work with with our rayco 1625. The price you have mentioned seems very steep, but everyone has their own running costs.

And make one hell of a mess and possibly damage the wall,

Stump Grinder is only way to go !!

This. Grinding out would be the easiest way to get them done and would leave you with less waste and in a form you can get rid of. Most Muckaway firms don't take stumps so even if you winched them out (80 with a Tirfor will have you suicidal) you still have to get rid of them somehow. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and spend the money to get the job done. The quote you got sounds steep from the info though.

Why do the stumps have to be removed ? can you not plant in between them ?

I want to plant a new hedge ... due to amount of roots I would envisage trouble if I just planted the new plants in, and growth could be hindered.

Wanted to be able to plant each in a new hole with good new compost medium around it.

Most of the species I have considered require a spacing that is closer than the gap between each Leylandii.

For example Coton Easter Franchetti or Griselina are recommended to be planted at 12"

If you guys know better then please tell me.

My goal is to get rid of Leylandii and plant a new hedge ... how I achieve it is up for discussion.

I have a 1600 tirfor and have used it for all sorts of tasks, very versatile.

For 80 trees as has been said it would be far too slow. I used to have a pto winch on a landrover and that did a number of tree pulling out jobs no problem. With it being gearbox driven you could run it all day if you had the fuel (V8!!!!!).

If I still had it then I reckon with a decent tree behind for an anchor and a few snatch blocks I could have done at least most of what you need in one day but unfortunately I don't still have it.

Would it be worth contacting your local landrover club (or similar) to see if there was a member with a pto or hydraulic (electric is not up to this job) winch willing to help out for a day?

I have pulled out quite a few smallish stumps over the years using my land rover capstan with a ground anchor and snatch blocks,the trees need to be cut off at around 4-5 ft to provide leverage, just cut roots with a mattock if necessary. whereabouts in s.wales are you? :001_smile: