Using a Winch

sargan

I may be wrong (probably am :001_rolleyes:) but surely if you can get a tracked grinder up the bank then you could do the same with a small digger, be it a 1.5 tonner or even a micro-digger?

Should you decide to do it manually then it may be worth considering a lever operated chain hoist rather than a tirfor type as they can be much quicker to set up. George Taylor Lifting do a sensible range and you can order one with a longer chain length than standard.

George Taylor & Company : GT Lever Hoist Heavy Duty MKII

(my new antivirus software is telling me that is a phishing site but I have been using it for years)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about complicating a job.

Get a tracked grinder in (preferably operated by someone who won't bend you over), get them ground out, pay them.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Agreed, the original quote the OP mentioned was ridiculous unless there is something we don't know about. If it is a clean run once up on the bank no piles of bricks everywhere then your looking at £400-£500 (give or take) for a days grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

[quote name='sargan;1557917

Plan B is I pay a guy to come in with a tracked stump grinder …. but when I asked he wanted around £1200 cash to do this' date=' and I still had to cut all trees down to ground level first.[/quote']

Its common to have the trees down before the stump grinder comes in:confused1:

What ever you do the trees need to come down quick or you may find yourself with a nesting bird problem. Leave 4 or 5 feet trunks though to give you options:thumbup:

Hello – my first post – be gentle.

I have around a 50m long double row of staggered Leylandi – around 80 of them, with trunks up to 8” diam.

I want to remove all of these so a decent hedge can be planted.

My plan is to cut them down to about 4’ high bare trunk, and with some shaking back & forth to loosen (maybe digging around base) pull out with a Tirfor.

There are a lot of large mixed species trees parallel to the Leylandii hedge with substantial trunks to provide suitable anchor strap points.

What size Tirfor do I need ?

I see 3 main sizes that I could get hold of

500Kg

800Kg

1.6T

I think all use 11mm rope, if I went any larger it would mean 16mm rope and all get heavy to manhandle into place.

Anybody experienced with using a Tirfor ……. What size do I need, and how easy do Leylandii stumps come out.

Also will a horizontal pull work, or do I need to put in a vertical bar to make the pull upwards … sorry if description not to good – something like this

Plan B is I pay a guy to come in with a tracked stump grinder …. but when I asked he wanted around £1200 cash to do this, and I still had to cut all trees down to ground level first.

From reading your posts I'm guessing treework isn't what you do everyday? Why don't you just get a price for getting them removed completely, start to finish. Would make a much quicker job and probably a couple of days. Cheaper to i would of thought.

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

• 3 weeks later...