Using a Winch

sargan

Hello – my first post – be gentle.

I have around a 50m long double row of staggered Leylandi – around 80 of them, with trunks up to 8” diam.

I want to remove all of these so a decent hedge can be planted.

My plan is to cut them down to about 4’ high bare trunk, and with some shaking back & forth to loosen (maybe digging around base) pull out with a Tirfor.

There are a lot of large mixed species trees parallel to the Leylandii hedge with substantial trunks to provide suitable anchor strap points.

What size Tirfor do I need ?

I see 3 main sizes that I could get hold of

500Kg

800Kg

1.6T

I think all use 11mm rope, if I went any larger it would mean 16mm rope and all get heavy to manhandle into place.

Anybody experienced with using a Tirfor ……. What size do I need, and how easy do Leylandii stumps come out.

Also will a horizontal pull work, or do I need to put in a vertical bar to make the pull upwards … sorry if description not to good – something like this [ame]

[/ame]

Plan B is I pay a guy to come in with a tracked stump grinder …. but when I asked he wanted around £1200 cash to do this, and I still had to cut all trees down to ground level first.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for the the 1.6t, not too heavy but still nice and versatile, I use mine a fair bit, (last week it was used for pulling out a bogged down Nissan Navara them Nissans are heavy) you will certainaly give yourself a good work out pulling out 80 of the bleeders out.

the tirfor has worked for me on such hedges, as long as you have the anchor points, as to size of tirfor, think about future use, so go one thats manageable to carry etc but has the largest capability / strength.

can't tell you the weight of mine, but its a pain to drag around with the wire rope, but it'l pull unto the strength of the user lol.

good luck, oh and iv'e just used straight pulls, but been lucky with strong anchor points

Get yourself a motorbike front tyre for keeping the wire rope in, much easier than the tirfor rope cages.

Give the rope a wipe with an oily rag when you are storeing it in the tyre, jobs a good un.

Also buy yourself a wee selection of different size nylon slings and a couple of shackles.

Get a grinder in but 1200 is a bit steep.

Any grinder with 25hp or above could do 80x8" dia leylandii in a day easily.

Can you hire a 25hp grinder ? ......... just tried Googling and most seem between 5 & 15Hp

I'm guessing smaller would be slow and vibrate around a lot.

Or anybody know if there is a forum member in S.Wales who does this hire (or work)