saw under £200 inc vat?

stuckinthemud

evening everyone,

I have to carve a story chair from a new-felled hardwood stump about 8 feet tall with lots of detailed deep relief work, along with 25 mushroom seats. The job may well be a one-off. I need to tool-up - saw, chain, dime-tip bar and safety gear. I do fancy a stihl 171 but the internet shows some suppliers nearly £100 more than others. I'm totally confused. Two questions - best saw under £200-ish inc vat suitable for the job (£250 max): decent supplier? I am in South Wales.

Thanks in advance

evening everyone,

I have to carve a story chair from a new-felled hardwood stump about 8 feet tall with lots of detailed deep relief work, along with 25 mushroom seats. The job may well be a one-off. I need to tool-up - saw, chain, dime-tip bar and safety gear. I do fancy a stihl 171 but the internet shows some suppliers nearly £100 more than others. I'm totally confused. Two questions - best saw under £200-ish inc vat suitable for the job (£250 max): decent supplier? I am in South Wales.

Thanks in advance

Check out www.huztl.net and scroll to the bottom of the page they have some kit saws listed and see if one would work. You assemble it. There are threads showing you step by step on putting them together. I put one together and was pleased with every aspect of the deal. It suited my budget.

Check out www.huztl.net and scroll to the bottom of the page they have some kit saws listed and see if one would work. You assemble it. There are threads showing you step by step on putting them together. I put one together and was pleased with every aspect of the deal. It suited my budget.

Which one did you do? I've been eyeing up the 361 kit as a little project

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I can sort you out a starter carving set to get you into the game

But now after teaming up with Rob D it is a Sugihara instead of oregon

Dolmar = tres forte

Shavey = tres bon homme

OK, lets cut to the chase: just buy it

N

Sorry for a slight derail but are the saws on huztl.net complete saws that just need putting together

Yeah I've looked into them a bit. On some American forums people have had them as a project and seem reasonable. There's a bunch of youtube vids as well. I fancy getting one to have a play with if only to learn more about how a saw works

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I have a suspicion that there's a fair/massive amount of psychology at play in the positive reviews of the Huztl saws;

Give Bob a 60cc Chinese Brand XX saw to try and he says "rubbish! underpowered crap!".

Give Bob a Chinese copy of a Stihl 036 and he says "Oh! Is good! Almost exactly like a Stihl!"

Not that the fake Stihls/Huskies are necessarily bad, but I'm sceptical about whether they are much better than a bog standard Chinese £60 saw (which people are perhaps too happy to rubbish).

That said, I might buy a kit for giggles.

:D