Starting out

Siddo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a month under your belt to see if you like it and then enrole in merrist wood colleges 10week Arb program really intensive and will get you up to speed where your worth something and gets you all the tickets you need

Sent from my RG500 using Arbtalk mobile app

Not a bad plan at all, is it best to go on these set weekly courses or better to enrol in a college over a longer term?

My only advice is don't give up being a sparky.. the money's **** in this game and if your going to do it commercially the working span of a climber is average 5 years and it will take you 2 to know your trade at least , the novelty of being out doors very quickly wears off in bad weather , I'm not saying if your hearts set don't give it a go but I would give it a bit more thought, on the flip side it is a great job, you get to scare your self most weeks usually on a failing ancient relic and vandalise it with a chain saw with other like minded idiots in some times stunning locations and I could not do anything else but it takes a weird sense of Maybe really self hatred to do it at times.

I fully understand where you're coming from Matt, to be fair have already taken the massive pay decrease when I moved off site into our works office 4 years ago for family issues, I'm always going to keep my sparky tickets upto date but I do fancy a change.

I just haven't found it to be that captivating but I guess all jobs get tedious and boring. I just want to escape the office environment now and all the politics that comes with it.

I often think about retraining as an electrician.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

It is a good trade to be fair and the money is there, I just found the health and safety side of it has gone far beyond common sense, I'm all for keeping yourself safe and all that and realise this trade may be similar but some of the rules and regs electrically are getting out of hand.

When did you leave the trade?

Depends on what suits you I did a 2 year course but could have been condensed massively so I think the 10 week is a better option and its easy to enrole on more specific courses in the future

Sent from my RG500 using Arbtalk mobile app

Ah right yeah I suppose it would make more sense, I think my only issue is I'm trying to keep my current job while I train or look into this trade so I can fund it and still pay my bills. I think I'm going to keep trying to get the odd day experience when possible and build it all up slowly.

I dunno about the cs38/39 just yet,id say better getting a trailer ticket and a chipper ticket.I came into climbing in my late 30's,glad i did,although some days i love it some i hate it(climbing a slimey sycamore on a pissin wet cold day is bloody awful) some days when its a crisp spring/autumn day and the suns out its fantastic.

Whatever you chose to do mate good luck

I dunno about the cs38/39 just yet,id say better getting a trailer ticket and a chipper ticket.I came into climbing in my late 30's,glad i did,although some days i love it some i hate it(climbing a slimey sycamore on a pissin wet cold day is bloody awful) some days when its a crisp spring/autumn day and the suns out its fantastic.

Whatever you chose to do mate good luck

Cheers, yeah I'm under no illusion that some days really will suck, luckily after being on building sites the ice cold sideways rain won't be too much of a shock.

So if I got those tickets and did a few Saturdays every now and then it should be a pretty good indicator of the work load and industry.

Thing is in my head, even if I get the tickets and don't go fully into it as a career just yet at least it's more on the CV and knowledge for me.

So, a random guess then:laugh1:

Guess so ! but think about the amount of people you have employed over the years and how many are still in the industry, is it a high number ? I think it's definitely got better these days as opposed to the 90's for a long term career but still a high rate decide it's not for them in the long term.