Starting out

Siddo

Hi all,

New to the forum, i've asked a similar question elsewhere but thought this area might be better suited as i've had no joy with responses.

I'm thinking about a change in career after 9 years, i'm 24 and currently a qualified electrician / draughtsman.

From the little reading i've done if i'm serious about getting into this industry I need to complete at the following courses at a minimum. CS30, CS31, CS38 & CS39.

Would it be more beneficial to try and find an apprenticeship scheme? However having done a 4 year one already i know its more a young persons incentive.

Or would i be better to enroll myself on these courses, get the basic kit needed and PPE and try to gain experience with local firms?

I've messaged a few asking for the possibility or work experience in the future but had no response, i can understand someone with no experience is not ideal at all.

Just after some advice really, or am I being naive about this industry thinking you can just jump into it?

I'd keen to get as much knowledge and experience / qualifications out of this as i can as it interests me.

Thanks for any help / advice. :thumbup:

Tom

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact a few small companies to see if you can do a day volunteering to see if you like the work. Get cs30, buy some ppe trousers,hat, boots and try to get more experience on the ground. Might just be a day here and there. get the other tickets as you go along. Doing all the tickets is alot of money and you might not find getting work experience any easier with all the tickets.

Shame we are looking for staff, but we are in Suffolk. Try and find a small company to work for and learn from them, then sort out your tickets

Ah that's a shame, you never know in the future I may be down there one day.

Contact a few small companies to see if you can do a day volunteering to see if you like the work. Get cs30, buy some ppe trousers,hat, boots and try to get more experience on the ground. Might just be a day here and there. get the other tickets as you go along. Doing all the tickets is alot of money and you might not find getting work experience any easier with all the tickets.

Yeah that's a good shout, I've messaged a few local firms this week asking for the above but not had any response, I can fully understand though as having someone inexperienced isn't really what people need.

Which side of Notts are you?

I'm based out in Newark but I travel into hucknall for work currently and out towards West Bridgford way for family.

Try mapletree care.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks I shall do!

Cheers for the advice so far all.

My only advice is don't give up being a sparky.. the money's **** in this game and if your going to do it commercially the working span of a climber is average 5 years and it will take you 2 to know your trade at least , the novelty of being out doors very quickly wears off in bad weather , I'm not saying if your hearts set don't give it a go but I would give it a bit more thought, on the flip side it is a great job, you get to scare your self most weeks usually on a failing ancient relic and vandalise it with a chain saw with other like minded idiots in some times stunning locations and I could not do anything else but it takes a weird sense of Maybe really self hatred to do it at times.