Fishing addicts?

Big J

It's gets into your head, it really does. I see the merit and appeal of all types of fishing, even if it's not for me. I do like to put my fish back though - breaks my heart when I see big rainbows clopped on the head for no reason other than that is what is expected of the angler.

Couldn't agree more, catch and release the way to go. I release most of the wild brownies I catch, keep the odd one of around a pound to pound and half. With camera phones about now I think a lot more game anglers are returning their fish as they don't have to produce a body as evidence.

Try an inch section of lob worm on size 14 for big roach this time of year, something savoury on a cold day[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's gets into your head, it really does. I see the merit and appeal of all types of fishing, even if it's not for me. I do like to put my fish back though - breaks my heart when I see big rainbows clopped on the head for no reason other than that is what is expected of the angler.

I used to fish in my youth , but shooting got in the way and still does.

My father got addicted to beach casting and travelled all over chasing cod.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Edited by Pinkfoot

Try an inch section of lob worm on size 14 for big roach this time of year, something savoury on a cold day[emoji1]

I did try sweet corn for 20 minutes today on a 14, but just got tiny nibbles on the float, nothing more. It's a hugely deep water that I fish (55ft deep at it's deepest) and I think that the large roach just sink deep over winter. I almost never get them. I'll try lobworm though next time - I have vast numbers of worms in the garden.

Good day otherwise though. Had 325 small roach, a pike at 8lb 2oz and a monster rainbow at 8lb 4oz on the whip. 3.3m of pole with hollow nine elastic, with a size 24 hook, single maggot and 3lb 6oz line. Took nearly 20 minutes to get it in, and as I pulled it over the net the hook bent out and pinged off. Luckily, it was already in the net. Stunning fish and very happy to put it back:

16864986_10208458397998763_4124220581329724035_n.jpg?oh=5836614082c89416316785bf2101ec45&oe=593FFF01

16998071_10208458397798758_6061009424535856497_n.jpg?oh=5fdbe79bdefdfd8cfbc4e46548d01003&oe=593D773C

My legs were wobbling for about 10 minutes afterwards. Longest fight I've had out of a fish since I was a kid and nearly doubled my rainbow pb.

Brown trout totally absent today. Water was very brown today due to heavy rain, which I think switched them off.

Nice rainbow J, sounds a good day.

Had a good year for stockies

Rachel had this big fat 12lb on a fly she tied her self and on a 4w rod biggest fish of there in a while I'm told ImageUploadedByArbtalk1488225951.847417.jpg.66e06db73c70def3bee4055e3f95b244.jpg

Had my best brownie at 9lb a few weeks before on a different lake along with a dozen other fish . ImageUploadedByArbtalk1488226042.840928.jpg.9605e2464df4dae90d8093d2e95c5419.jpg

Both put back of course.