Npors vs Cpcs Excavator

roseyweb

Pretty much now a case of seeing who will do you the best deal or which route you prefer as the NPORS is now an official recognised partner scheme of the CPCS.

https://www.cscs.uk.com/about/partnercard-schemes/

As for FMOC I'd forget it for construction sites, unless you're using it to prove competence in a category over and above some form of CSCS card that you hold already.

An example could be operating a Forwarder, you could use your FMOC for it, but either a CPCS Excavator, or CPCS Chainsaw would cover the fact you had achieved the touch screen test, and basics to be on a construction site.

The main contractor will generally need to see some form of CSCS, even if it's just the touch screen test passed as a minimum for a short probationary period to even get you onto site.

I suppose it's just the opposite way around on FC sites, they aren't construction so why should they have CPCS unless it is actually construction work you are undertaking.

Would I be correct in thinking the FMOC provisional for an excavator can be gained by holding a CPCS for that category, and then you train for specific tasks and attachments?

Eddie.

• 3 months later...

Is it possible to gain a blue cpcs card without having first gained the red card?

Years of experience and several in house type training days but now looking to up too a cpcs card.

As for I`m aware you have to do the red first.

I've just done NPORS excavator, excavator as a crane, lorry loader and road roller (needed that one for a particular job). The assessor came to my site for the day, did a written test for each item of plant in the morning, then he set me various tasks to complete so he could assess my competence with the machines. I updated my touchscreen health and safety test and now hold an NPORS card with the CSCS logo. The card lists the attachments tested on the assessment too, so states 'Attachments: Includes Tilt Rotator with Grab, Fully-automatic Quick Hitch Awareness'.

It cost nowhere near the CSCS prices suggested on here, in either time or money.

• 1 year later...
On 01/06/2017 at 08:04, richy_B said:

NPORS sounds like the way forward. As briquette mentioned £2k and 9 days of not working is a hell of a cost.

CPCS can be gained on a Saturday morning and categories added in about an hour!

The whole lot stinks, goalposts move every few years, bent tickets everywhere and the simple fact they are totally meaningless!

Plenty of lads on here I’d bet are far safer on kit with no tickets than some of the idiots with them!

If NPORS can get you on cheaper, go for it, they’re just a Ticket to open the door, not if you can Operate it or not!

Eddie.

1 hour ago, LGP Eddie said:

CPCS can be gained on a Saturday morning and categories added in about an hour!

The whole lot stinks, goalposts move every few years, bent tickets everywhere and the simple fact they are totally meaningless!

Plenty of lads on here I’d bet are far safer on kit with no tickets than some of the idiots with them!

If NPORS can get you on cheaper, go for it, they’re just a Ticket to open the door, not if you can Operate it or not!

Eddie.

I’ve got a couple of NPORS tickets.... they tick a box and have no relevance to the actual work I carry out ?