Root protection system

derek robinson

He lives in a bungalow!! :lol::lol:

On a more serious note...

There are a good fistful of missing parts to this puzzle....

(1) Is it your house, your tree and / or your insurance company?

(2) What evidence have the insurance company produced to validate the requirement to remove?

(3) Is it credible?

(4) Do you want the tree to stay or go?

(5) Depending on the answers to (1) have you contacted the Local Authority to report the threat to the tree with a view to requesting a TPO?

And, as Chris said, if the roots are already causing a problem (if), you'd probably have to root prune before installing a barrier any case.... :confused1:

1. The house used to be local authority owned but was passed on to a housing association in one of the local bog-off deals and is still tenanted.

2. At the moment no credible evidence against the tree, the drain survey included a quote to repair them but they are having another one done. The foundations are raft type on sand.

3. Nothing credible against the tree compared to everything else.

4. We wish the tree to stay, we have a lack of mature stock now.

5. The tree officer has/is refusing a TPO even though the tree is threatened and the ranks have been closed against us. One thing is said quietly and another officially.

Link to google, https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3884935,-1.4987055,3a,75y,186.33h,103.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saSoKkaUt-ukCsotxnK7gnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I hope the link works I know it is difficult without seeing the problem so I am trying to help you people, to help me.

I wish to try and find true figures, at the moment they talk £20,000 to put in a Root protection system which they say they will not do anyway, and I don't even think the tree is to blame.

Thank you

Derek.

Mmm disappointing on the side of the TO...from what you have said there is'nt enough evidence to condemn the tree but if the tree is not afforded any statutory protection then its not needed and easy to point the finger. While I appreciate the possible conversation in the council office about the council being liable 'if' the tree is found to be causing any foundation movement the TO could serve a TPO as a tool to request further information to prevent the loss of a significant tree and IF the evidence is presented which unfortunately identifies that the tree is having an influence on the property the TPO can either be left to lapse or not confirmed.

I've still no idea what you mean by a root protection system? To me a root protection system is fencing or ground protection boards on a development site, or a no dig drive. Did you mean a root barrier?

Kev, I wasn't suggesting that you would need to root prune before installing a root barrier. What I meant was that from what I remember (I would need to check) NHBC specifically state that root barriers are not recommended for mitigating existing subsidence from trees. New tree to keep roots away from the building yes.

Root barriers are around about £1,000 per linear metre depending on depth. Speak with target fixings, they have a system called heli-pile which can be installed and tied into the existing footings as an alternative to underpinning. may be worth a look.

All of this seems an unnecessary cost though if they haven't confirmed that the tree is the cause. The tree is undoubtedly close enough to cause subsidence but only if conditions are right. Even then they should have some type of monitoring to check the movement is seasonal.

In reality though they are thinking it will cost 20 times as much to underpin or install a root barrier than it will to fell the tree.

Although its over 7 years old, it would be an interesting exercise to canvas whether the Joint Mitigation Protocol is still a being used as a method of subsidence claims management.

Where trees have been implicated as being the cause of building movement, the JMP sought to establish best practice in the processing and investigation of tree root induced building damage, benchmarking time scales for responses and standards of evidence.

http://www.ltoa.org.uk/resources/joint-mitigation-protocol

Its had approximately 6000 downloads during its lifetime and was signed up to by London & Southeast Borough Councils, Arb & Environmental Consultancy's, Insurance Companies and Loss Adjusters.

Joint Mitigation Protocol.

I wonder how many actual trees have been retained due to the protocol.

1. The house used to be local authority owned but was passed on to a housing association in one of the local bog-off deals and is still tenanted.

2. At the moment no credible evidence against the tree, the drain survey included a quote to repair them but they are having another one done. The foundations are raft type on sand.

3. Nothing credible against the tree compared to everything else.

4. We wish the tree to stay, we have a lack of mature stock now.

5. The tree officer has/is refusing a TPO even though the tree is threatened and the ranks have been closed against us. One thing is said quietly and another officially.

Link to google, https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3884935,-1.4987055,3a,75y,186.33h,103.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saSoKkaUt-ukCsotxnK7gnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I hope the link works I know it is difficult without seeing the problem so I am trying to help you people, to help me.

I wish to try and find true figures, at the moment they talk £20,000 to put in a Root protection system which they say they will not do anyway, and I don't even think the tree is to blame.

Thank you

Derek.

I haven't had time to look at the maps, but (moisture deficit) subsidence and sand would be a first?

Kev, I wasn't suggesting that you would need to root prune before installing a root barrier. What I meant was that from what I remember (I would need to check) NHBC specifically state that root barriers are not recommended for mitigating existing subsidence from trees. New tree to keep roots away from the building yes.

Understood Chris, I think I knew what you meant but I just didn't refer very well to what I thought you meant in my haste!