Storage of logs in a shipping container. Good plan or not?

TeaMonsta

I'm considering storing bags/crates of kiln-dried logs in shipping containers as a cheap storage solution. However, my concern is that the logs might start to develop rot due to insufficient airflow through the container. I have thought about spacing out the crates/bags and not pack them in tightly. This should go some way to helping but that will mean more containers and therefore higher costs. Could anyone offer any tips or advice, possibly alternatives that might be feasible? Thanks in advance.

Edited by TeaMonsta

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a great idea, I would cut air holes in all sides

I know they exist with vents so if I can get ones like that, I'm hoping it'll work. We had the entire contents of our flat in a container for 14 months once. It had 4 vents. We were warned about condensation but never experienced it. Everything was fine. But the contents were dry and logs hold moisture so it might be a different story......

I have several containers including one 20ft reefer. I would not store wood in a standard one as there are major condensation issues. On certain dasy the whole interior would be covered in drips.

You can pick up reefer containers or insulated lorry backs for £1500-2000. Go for one of those.

Thanks for all your tips and advice, folks; exactly what I was after and much appreciated. I'll have a Google on your suggestions and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, I'm more than happy to hear from others if they have had experience or know of ways to minimise the potential issues. Many thanks!

If you're going to store logs in a container then get one with back & front doors (can't remember what they're called) condensation shouldn't be too bad if it's shaded /out of the sun. The one I had was nearly new & only used one way, which was boarded out & had 4 vents & condensation wasn't too bad but as others have said - airflow is the key although you already know that! If it was me (& planning wasn't an issue) I'd build a log store out of telegraph poles. Or if that's not an option then an old curtain sider is cheap enough.