346 xp heated handles

carlos

It is all very simple, there is a coil pack mounted behind the flywheel. the flywheel has a ring magnet embedded on to the back of it. Once the flywheel spins, the magnet spins round the coil and produces a bit of a voltage. You have two resistive heaters mounted in series with a switch between the voltage, the heaters and earth. Once the switch is thrown, you get toasty hands.

It is possible the switch has got a bit of shyte in it increasing its normal nominal resistance, it is possible one of the heaters has got a high resistance but I am not sure if there is a spec for them or if you just have to compare to a good set. Probably best to check the switch, check the connectors and see where that leads to.

Hi i had this issue with both my XPGs, first one had shyte in the switch as Spud suggested, but it also had a cut in the wire where it comes from the coil pack, under the carb and out to the handle. the other had been given a real hard life and the coil behind the rotor was coated in thick crusty sticky film, i think a mix of sap, oil, grease, crud and fine saw dust, it was also so thick it had reduced the vent hole size on the starter cover, a real mess. both saws were purchased in this non functioning heated handle state 2nd hand and were cheaper as a result. personally i would never let my saw get in that state. after much cleaning and some TLC both are working perfect. the trusty 346xpg

Hi i had this issue with both my XPGs, first one had shyte in the switch as Spud suggested, but it also had a cut in the wire where it comes from the coil pack, under the carb and out to the handle. the other had been given a real hard life and the coil behind the rotor was coated in thick crusty sticky film, i think a mix of sap, oil, grease, crud and fine saw dust, it was also so thick it had reduced the vent hole size on the starter cover, a real mess. both saws were purchased in this non functioning heated handle state 2nd hand and were cheaper as a result. personally i would never let my saw get in that state. after much cleaning and some TLC both are working perfect. the trusty 346xpg

could well be crud related as i run veg oil on the bar and dont own an air compressor!

• 1 month later...