Preventing Tree Work Injuries

kevinjohnsonmbe

I recently returned from 4 days in Oxfordshire subbing as a climber for a tree firm, who got a good contract with a major telecoms company, to clear all the trees around the site.

I sent copies of my certs, for insurance etc, and everything seemed legit.

I assumed at least 2 gangs, but no, me climbing and 2 guys on the ground with no chainsaw trousers or boots on, 1 MS170 and a knackered Jenson chipper.

They told me to climb and take down a load of big sycamores while they worked elsewhere on site.

Like a total IDIOT, I did the job. No second climber / aerial resuce... no second climbing kit...

There was a nice chap, project manager from the phone company, his risk assessment was basic, and not specific for arb work. He had no idea about tree or forestry specific work.

The whole situation was a total joke, and if I there had been an injury, or I needed help / assistance / rescuing / hurt myself / hurt someone / broken anything... Then clearly all insurance would be void.

I work safely and always visualise where my saw is in relation to my ropes and myself, and where it potentially could go. I have never had an accident. I was a bit pissed off, and felled out some big limbs that should have been lowered, but there was no lowing kit... not that I would have trusted them to lower anything.

So to prevent tree work injuries... don't be a plonker like I was last week, by working with muppets.

I should have gone straight home, and I am disappointed in myself for staying and doing the job, for the sake of earning a few quid.

...and I am amazed that said telecoms company were so lax with the health and safety

C44RWdVUYAU_9vz.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your insurance wouldn't of been void (unless its accident insurance you are talking about). It is very sad to hear of fatal accidents, but as has already been said it the use of the saw thats the problem (one handed , bad positioning, working too fast cos job was miss quoted).

i climb alone (or with no rescue climber) quite often , i am breaching health and saftey regs thats all. But i very rarely cut at throat height , and rarely do one handed chainsaw use, even with a recuse climber on site it dont mean you wont have a fatal accident ( if you cut into a main vein then you will be dead in 1 min , so the safety climber will have only just left the ground). i also climb with impregnated celox bandage in my first aid kit which gives me some confidance i can deal with a chainsaw would myself.

Accidents are always going to happen unfortunately. Part of being a human being is making mistakes, however you can minimise the repercussions with careful but simple planning.

E.g. When working solo I keep my rope in a kit bag so it does not get fouled up on the ground. You have to be your own rescue climber & let's be realistic, even if you have one site & you suffer a major bleed then you need to get your ass out of the tree asap- on a decent sized tree, a ticketed occasional climber will be probably retrieving a corpse after they have run 100m to retrieve there kit, put it on & made there way up to you. Think about it!

People these days seem to focus on extra training or extra paperwork & other such bullshite to reduce accidents, when perhaps looking after ourselves is the best way to give us the best chance of getting through the day e.g. eat enough food - drink enough fluid - rest when you get knackered, all of which can ruin your concentration. non of it is rocket science, you just have to set yourself up to succeed.

Edited by Pete Mctree

Great comments all!

Harsh, self critical, honest and accurate self assessments coupled with refocusing of personal practices and recognition of pressures applied by employers.

Far greater practical benefit than a desk jockey's enthusiasm for MORE paperwork and superficial amendments to training schedules which will do little to change the inherent hazards of the task or the propensity of the individual (wether through fatigue, complacency or pressure) to deviate from good work position (it's Silky Paul's sign off I think!)

Slow down, be sure, be safe.

i tend to find accidents or near misses are far more likely to occur on smaller easier tasks as you tend to give it less concentration. whereas a big technical takedown you give it 101%.

leyland hedges and overgrown garden hedges seem to bring out the worst saw manship in me.

PS,

2 questions....

(1) are the current training schedules adequate / fit for task?

(2) are the organisations delivering training / assessment suitably applying the schedules? (High failure rates don't make for a good business reputation as a trainer so are corners being cut, passes being awarded where perhaps they shouldn't be??)

Good question Kevin.

Perhaps it would be of practical benefit to incorporate more depth into saw handling techniques (especially top handled). E.g. The anatomy of accidents, the how's where's and why's. More on cutting and saw orientation in regards to body positioning in real life work scenarios.

Rather than more regulations, paperwork and meaningless risk assessments.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

PS,

2 questions....

(1) are the current training schedules adequate / fit for task?

They produce a competent operative - now that is definitely not a proficient or an excellent one. So, I think the question should be;

"At what level do you expect individuals to be trained to & how does the current standard measure up to this?"

What do you think?

in which category to do accidents occur? newly qualified but not that competent or seasoned pro with many years under their belt rushing or cutting corners? or is it a mix, must be some trends, not read any data myself so dont know but would be keen to read up on it.

carl