Disposing of waste

simonm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that waste is getting harder and harder to dispose of now.

I took 6 old fence panels to the local waste site, and they wanted £140 to get rid of it!

I was told I cant stack it in the yard and wait till i have a load, as thats classed as a waste transfer station.

I thought of shredding it, but then what do I do with the shreddings?

I have relatives on a farm whk can burn it, but its a 110mile round trip, so not viable

the only hope is a roll on roll off on permananet hire.

Legally farms can only burn what has grown there I believe and then they should apply for a licence to do that.

It seems that waste is getting harder and harder to dispose of now.

I took 6 old fence panels to the local waste site, and they wanted £140 to get rid of it!

I was told I cant stack it in the yard and wait till i have a load, as thats classed as a waste transfer station.

I thought of shredding it, but then what do I do with the shreddings?

I have relatives on a farm whk can burn it, but its a 110mile round trip, so not viable

the only hope is a roll on roll off on permananet hire.

6 fence panels 1 sledge hammer = kindling .:thumbup:

Legally farms can only burn what has grown there I believe and then they should apply for a licence to do that.

They'd have to prove it didn't come from their farm wouldn't they?...

Seems like to much trouble for anyone to go investigating a thing like that...

I burn what I get every once in a while, but wait for the right conditions, strong windy, cloudy days... even then the firemen turn up once in a while..

Last time they threatened to give me some order or other... I've now come round to phoning them up if the thing looks like it might be a problem..

And I also try to burn waste before it gets to much like a bonfire...

I have considered pushing the woodchip that I produce, not much to be honest.. near the river banking... a good flood might take care of it then...:thumbup1:

My old boss used to have fires all the time .

His motto was ( little and often )

A big old smoldering burn is going to attract lots of attention :thumbdown:

He did once hire in a large tub type grinder / shredder . This cleared all of our old hedge trimmings and sweepings ...including a few stumps and the old timber pile which was part rotten .

We were left with the pile of shreddings ..which on the whole were fairly decent .

An Estate nr to us had most of the shreddings and the rest was just left to rot down .

My old boss used to have fires all the time .

His motto was ( little and often )

A big old smoldering burn is going to attract lots of attention :thumbdown:

Good advice:thumbup1:

As for burning fence panels, start a small fire on top of them instead of under them and let the fire burn slowly through the pile hence no smoke.