OPM Pheromone Traps

David Humphries

Yes eradication virtually impossible once a pest is outside a controlled environment ie glasshouse, lab etc. Have been involved in the control programme for OPM which has been running for a no of years around the Kew, Richmond and Barnes areas with trial and treatment works at Syon Park. Very effective on target trees but costly and environmental conditions must be right (little or no breeze and dry),plus the logistics of spraying large Oak trees in public areas can be a real head scratcher even if the treatment is perfectly safe (except for caterpillars!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I have also been involved in work with OPM the last couple of years, primarily surveying for them in various places. I've just finished many weeks of pheromone trapping for the OPM around London. Where have you been trapping in the past? From the information I've collected on the spread of the OPM it looks like eradication is out the window, its largely spread West and South of London now and I do believe it be near out of hand. Ive also found the moths in far north london aswell just in smaller numbers as elsewhere.

Edited by ZenTreeMan

David, which brand of pheromone are you using? I got tony k one from Belgium that seemed better than the FR one

Hello Craig, just seen this.

We've been supplied with 'Pherobank' lures which I believe are from the Netherlands. They need replacing every two or three weeks as they deteriorate.

Tbh, they seem to be pretty good at doing what they've been produced to do, which is to catch OPM specifically

The first couple of weeks have lured in over 20 confirmed OPM moths (no other lepodoptera species) in a couple of the traps we've got out there.

IMG-20140819-00419.jpg.1f81226828f7f3c69c5f2172cce1f9e6.jpg

IMG_3972.JPG.5a9be7459d2ac712f6b40d18c933fdab.JPG

Forest Research guys already had a trap at QP so we placed our 4 at golders, spaniards, highgate & the extension.

the ones we have caught have mainly come from golders but some also from spaniards & the extension.

We did have a look at the FR one in QP & they had a few males in there unsurprisingly.

Any trapping in Harrow?

• 10 months later...