help on small backup ground saw

Stihl123

I treated myself to a Husky 236 smallest rear handle they do for snedding and sitting next to the chipper. A real Husky for only £123 from FR Jones. Needed to give my 254xp a rest as neither of us are getting any younger! So far 2 months in not even had to sharpen the chain, taken down 14 silver birch for fence rails and a load of logs for the fire.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, just a little saw to use on dirty timber, something that's a little lighter and easier to throw around than the 560... won't be used in the forest, unless the 560 is down!!

Stihl 180/181,bullet proof little saws,good power to weight ratio and very simple to sort if owt goes wrong(rarely happens in my experience)

Dont touch a husky 135...its 180 quid for a reason.

just looking at one of these, look quite a good 40cc saw!:thumbup1:

thanks for your help guys!

Nooooooooooooh.....dont do it.

Seriously ive got one and its below average...

infact if im entirely honest its crap.

Its difficult to start,its overly heavy for its power ratio,the guidebar is made of paper mache and most irritating is the oil top up resevoir is right under the side handle making it a pain in the arse to carry a combi spanner to open it.

Seriously dont do it...

180 quid wasted.

Stihl 180/181 ahem

Nooooooooooooh.....dont do it.

Seriously ive got one and its below average...

infact if im entirely honest its crap.

Its difficult to start,its overly heavy for its power ratio,the guidebar is made of paper mache and most irritating is the oil top up resevoir is right under the side handle making it a pain in the arse to carry a combi spanner to open it.

Seriously dont do it...

180 quid wasted.

Stihl 180/181 ahem

That's just you, my 135 starts no trouble and I can undo the oil cap with my finger and thumb. A friend of mine bought a MS181 same time as I got my 135 and he had it back to the shop 5 times as it wouldn't oil the bar. It's about 3 years old now and his 181 is a pig to start and runs like a bag of, he's not neglected it either. If I was going for one now I think I would look at the Echo CS-310ES

Edited by peatff

Hi,

I know someone with a 181 who has to store it on its side because the flippy caps leak & its only 1-2 years old. The 241 is a fine saw but more money

Look at Echo or Dolmar, the 420 is a nice little saw & when my MS250 goes, will be its replacement...

N

That's just you, my 135 starts no trouble and I can undo the oil cap with my finger and thumb. A friend of mine bought a MS181 same time as I got my 135 and he had it back to the shop 5 times as it wouldn't oil the bar. It's about 3 years old now and his 181 is a pig to start and runs like a bag of, he's not neglected it either. If I was going for one now I think I would look at the Echo CS-310ES

Of course it just me,i can only evaluate and recomend a saw on my own experience and in my experience 135 is a pig.

I had a 180 that never let me down started first time every time,lasted for donkeys years and i didnt even change the plug.

Great little saws and good power to weight ratio.

Ive used a 181 aswell dunno what year it was but again a good little saw to cut.Didnt have any problems with oil leaking out

My vote would be Stihl MS 181 it's my go to saw, small fells (14" and under) fire wood and snedding. It's not all been plain sailing tho I almost binned it after a month, wouldn't start cold and a nightmare to start warm, but now worn in start second pull cold and half a pull warm best saw I own!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app