Gaining Experience in Scotland. Any advice?

Sapling 001

I have read a few posts from people in my position taking a change in career. I am 36 now and am aware that I am not going to be the strongest climber for much longer.

I am half way through the NPTC Tree Surgery course at Kilmarnock College. I have my climbing, rescue and chainsaw maintenance and cross cutting tickets and am looking for some opportunities to gain some more experience.

By the end of the course which finishes in June I will have my small and medium felling and aerial cutting tickets also.

I would like to gain some work experience and start earning asap and so have been contacting some of the larger companies who are more lightly to provide additional training. I have also contacted the smaller companies.

I have looked on ArbJobs.Com but there is no drop down for Scotland in the regions selector.

I am interested in developing my climbing and cutting skills and am aiming to develop my skills with a view to a career in forestry and conservation. Any guidance or advice you can offer would be appreciated.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

I have read a few posts from people in my position taking a change in career. I am 36 now and am aware that I am not going to be the strongest climber for much longer.

I started climbing when I was 45, I can still keep a couple of groundies busy any day. It's not about strength.

I live in the central belt of Scotland,climb for my local authority

(Try not too judge-were hard working guys)

and subby for some companies.I find the larger companies have guys all year round but the landscapers and gardeners who get the odd tree job pay better.

These are the guys i tend to get work from although its sporadic and mostly in the spring/summer .

The oppertunities lie down south,i see adverts for climbers in England all the time.

Scotland not having it's own dropdown on arbjobs is of no significance at all , just narrow it to UK and check regularly if your serious . Between this site and arbjobs you will definitely get jobs coming up regularly .

I was 34 when I started in 2003 from Kilmarnock and still will outgun alot of the whippersnappers . Best of luck :thumbup1:

Good to hear so much encouragement.

Thanks.

Im aware that climbing is more technique than strength. I just need the opportunity to practice more. I don't want to do this on a new bosses time. So I need to save money first before I can buy the equipment to practice with.

I will keep checking the forum and arb jobs. Also local authority jobs sound like quite a good idea for a newbe like me. I have been in touch with mine and they do train arborists. Just a case of getting a foot in the door.

Any and all help and advice appreciated.

Good to hear so much encouragement.

Thanks.

Im aware that climbing is more technique than strength. I just need the opportunity to practice more. I don't want to do this on a new bosses time. So I need to save money first before I can buy the equipment to practice with.

I will keep checking the forum and arb jobs. Also local authority jobs sound like quite a good idea for a newbe like me. I have been in touch with mine and they do train arborists. Just a case of getting a foot in the door.

Any and all help and advice appreciated.

Keep checking with local companies/local authorites and something will pop up. I started climbing at 36 and had 10 great years before the opertunitiy came along to move onto something else. I was fortunate to meet a guy, when I started, who worked all over the UK which gave me fantastic experience, we even worked in London zoo, which was great fun.

Good luck

getting some kit and having some practice is really not a bad shout. Obviously it'll never get you up to speed, but it helps. If nothing else it makes you feel like your giving yourself the best shot.

i once actually got a job offer from heading for a 'practice'. Apparently the local authority got a phone call saying there was some nutbar swingin' about in their favourite oak. musta lept in their landrover and raced down, only to offer me a job! if the fire brigade could get the same response time i'd be impressed.