" personal reasons"

jose

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it would depend on what side of the Severn Bridge the employee lived. If he lives on the toll side then personal reasons after Saturdays result is perfectly understandable. If he lives on the other side then sack him. I hope this helps

:biggrin:

Quick question. As a employer are you allowed to enquire/ ask generally about it?

Got a message at 6am saying can't come in for personal reasons.

surely it depends how many days off he has a year? there's a big difference between someone that is off sick once a decade to someone that is taking weeks off at a time.

if I was an employer it would p1ss me off if an employee took more than 2 days off sick a year (unless he had known health issues). I used to work beside someone that hadn't taken a day off in twenty years, on my other side there was someone that was off a couple of days a month.

surely it depends how many days off he has a year? there's a big difference between someone that is off sick once a decade to someone that is taking weeks off at a time.

if I was an employer it would p1ss me off if an employee took more than 2 days off sick a year (unless he had known health issues). I used to work beside someone that hadn't taken a day off in twenty years, on my other side there was someone that was off a couple of days a month

I know what you mean. In over 15 yrs i can count on 1 hand the days ive had off sick.

this chap is unpredictable, he can goes months without a day and then randomly do it.

Ive given up of saturdays though as that is a 90% failure rate at least!

In hindsight i would never of become an employer. I would take on 2 subbies, 2 days a week each and take the 5 off! would save huge amounts of worry and costs! all i ever seem to do is pay to have employees! they dont make me any more money, its not like i can pass on the extra costs to the customer.

i only have a couple of guys and it costs me easy 10 k a year more as employees what with holidays, ppe taxes training etc. but i cant charge any more so in affect my profits dropped by 10 k. could have taken 4 months off for that kind of money!

and my god does the law protect them to a fault! not going to go into it but lets just say i was in a position where employee safety was put second to employee rights and i couldnt do a thing about it.

hands up there were issues with my employment contract at the time due to ignorance ( no excuse? personally i think if you really dont know certain things even exits how are you to deal with them!)

i am a simple man all i want to do is earn a fair wage for a days work. gov is forcing it so far down the employers throat it makes me really want to pack it in and be a bum council scrounger. i see them all the time and not one of them ever looks stressed.

but thats another rant for another day!

Sending a text was unprofessional.

He should have got his mam to ring in.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

And that is the method of choice for a few of the young fellows that claim to work for me.

I am on first name terms with several mums who call me at an early hour with various lame excuses as to why their little Herbert won't be joining us today.

i did do it with my brother for 8 yrs before he passed away.

never had any of the bother or expense.

not saying they are not of any value but they are expensive and often a lot of hassle and their rights far out weigh mine.

why is it people always blame the boss? i am very easy going and dont belive in scrimping of kit etc. if we need anything its there the next day.

from what i read im almost too soft.

but yeah i guess it must be me....

i did do it with my brother for 8 yrs before he passed away.

never had any of the bother or expense.

not saying they are not of any value but they are expensive and often a lot of hassle and their rights far out weigh mine.

why is it people always blame the boss? i am very easy going and dont belive in scrimping of kit etc. if we need anything its there the next day.

from what i read im almost too soft.

but yeah i guess it must be me....

It's like a deal, you get to keep most of the money from the job, they get less of the money but less of the hassle.

They are usually less committed than you, they've less to lose, and less to gain.

I've had issues with employees, I've even railed against them on forums.

But if you're genuinely not earning more than double what they get per day, you're getting the pricing wrong.