" personal reasons"

jose

Quick question. As a employer are you allowed to enquire/ ask generally about it?

Got a message at 6am saying can't come in for personal reasons.

Not heard anything since.

Does a employer have any rights or do they just have to accept it at face value?

Coincidentally a rugby fan the day after a big game claims a personal day.

Anyone know the rules?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question. As a employer are you allowed to enquire

Anyone know the rules?

Cheers

Yes . You can only pass backwards . You can kick forward but you must be behind the kicker as he kicks it to be " on side " . :001_smile:

Quick question. As a employer are you allowed to enquire/ ask generally about it?

Got a message at 6am saying can't come in for personal reasons.

Not heard anything since.

Does a employer have any rights or do they just have to accept it at face value?

Anyone know the rules?

Cheers

Was it a phone call or a phone message left for you or a text?

I dont think there are legal constraints here but as an employer id say its pefectly within your rights to TACTFULLY ask said employee why they were off work.

If it was a text message then all bets are off cause thats shite and i absolutly hate sicky texts.

I find if your gut is telling you the employee was at the rugby got pissed and took a cheeky wee sicky usually the gut is right.

Have a word and repremand as necessary.

Start doing return to work interviews for any unauthorised absences for all staff, then you can bring it up then & then decide whether it's genuine or to take it as unpaid or holiday. It can help to cut down on sickies because they don't want to be accountable for their absence, unless it's genuine. Mark every absence on your calendar & you may star to see a pattern!

Start doing return to work interviews for any unauthorised absences for all staff, then you can bring it up then & then decide whether it's genuine or to take it as unpaid or holiday. It can help to cut down on sickies because they don't want to be accountable for their absence, unless it's genuine. Mark every absence on your calendar & you may star to see a pattern!

We did this a while back and found that no less than 40% of sickies were on Monday or a Friday:thumbdown: