Pivot dumper forwarder

andy cobb

Surely just a tap between the two sides of the slew control closed when in work open when in transport

Does that mean that oil would just flow from one cylinder to the other as the grab followed the bunk?

Sorry for my ignorance but hydraulics aren't my forte.

Edited by andy cobb
Spelling

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean that oil would just flow from one cylinder to the other as the grab followed the bunk?

Sorry for my ignorance but hydraulics aren't my forte.

It should do its how to make a hydraulic ram float to a certain extent

Someone may correct me as not sure about slew systems but im pretty sure it would work especially as both sides will be same capacity wheras each end of a ram has a different capacity

I think a bigger problem could be that a 5 ton dumper has no rops fops cab so if your operating the crane from an unprotected position you should have check valves on the crane so should a pipe burst it won't come crashing down on you and also should have 6monthly lola checks.

Would be far easier to get a giant like bobs and Base it on that as it's a bit bigger and more stable already with protective cab already, two for sale on eBay at moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182442374456

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

I think a bigger problem could be that a 5 ton dumper has no rops fops cab so if your operating the crane from an unprotected position you should have check valves on the crane so should a pipe burst it won't come crashing down on you and also should have 6monthly lola checks.

Would be far easier to get a giant like bobs and Base it on that as it's a bit bigger and more stable already with protective cab already, two for sale on eBay at moment

THWAITES GIANT ALLDRIVE 5 TON DUMPER/DUMPTRUCK X 2 | eBay

The dumper does have a roll bar and will continue to have one when hiab is on.

I do take your point about operator safety though but I think a substantial framework built from the chassis would offer adequate protection .

I looked at a forward control dumper that's been parked up at a local quarry with a duff engine but it would be too big for construction work which is my main occupation.

Role over bar is just that it's not falling object protection or strictly role over protection it's just to prevent the machine rolling over completely onto the driver. If your going onto construction sites you'll definitely get pulled up on it as I've seen countless dumper drivers getting a telling for remaining in the seat while the machine is loaded by an excavator as they are completely exposed.

I think your concept is good and it should be a capable little machine, just wouldn't want you sinking a whole bunch of money and time into it to find you couldn't use it.

Luckily I never do large site work we tend to do renovations extensions and one off builds. Currently renovating a farm house into a 8 bedroom holiday cottage with 6 acres for glamping pods so dumper will be used a lot there.

On the forestry side it's only small estate work usually for gamekeepers , cutting rides tree removal for gun pegs and when doing forestry I work alone so at least it means I'm not worried about bystanders etc but operator safety is something I need to look at as well

Hoping that for the small scale forestry work I do a little dumper forwarder will wiggle where a tractor trailer won't .

Id be more concerned about the hyrualic oil spray with a pipe burst than where it drops if the crane is in front of operator boom falling shouldnt be a problem as nowone should be near inadvertently swinging a tree into you is one problem but a face full of hydraulic oil without a proper cab would be quite painful there are certain rules about rhis not sure what they are but know you never get high pressure lines inside a cab dont know how it works with cabless min diggers but no doubt it is thought about

A 5t dumper based forwarder it a terrible idea.

Hopeless on any sort of slope or on soft ground then add 12 foot logs to the mix.

I've seen people use them in yards ok for firewood processors.

With a tracked one you might be able to make something of use.

I would firstly fill the skip with rubble take it off road into the woods and then see how its going to preform with weight

It should do its how to make a hydraulic ram float to a certain extent

Someone may correct me as not sure about slew systems but im pretty sure it would work especially as both sides will be same capacity wheras each end of a ram has a different capacity

Yes and it was standard on Highland Bears, the float on the main lift ram was by holding the spool down (I used a spring some had a detent). On double acting rams you'd need to dump both sides to tank as you say because of the different capacity on each side.