Quiet chainsaw recomendations.

One Buck

Old log poaching trick was to run the exhaust through a tube into a bucket of water to help make the saws noise not travel so far.

I would pick the saw I wanted to use, add a bigger muffler and try putting some sound deadening around the saw (leave room for air and operation) I wouldnt be to tempted to go small on saws as the longer your cutting the more time your making noise. Might be worth making a few noise shields you can set up where your cutting to help deflect some of the din. A bigger saw at 80% throttle will cut faster and might be quieter than a smaller saw at 100%. Pay the local hoon a fiver for driving around the block a few times a day in his loud car to make you seem more civilized.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bigger saw at 80% throttle will cut faster and might be quieter than a smaller saw at 100%.

Saws are not meant to run at part throttle, this is counterproductive and will not cut faster than a small saw as the chain speed will be reduced. You'll just wear the saw out quicker.

My Titan electric saw is still going strong - I've had my £50 quids worth out of it many times over.

+1, me too. It's not quiet (it screams a bit at full revs, plus the chain travelling is noisy) but it's quieter than my 2 stroke. My neighbours haven't complained, though they are a fairly tolerant bunch.

When I am milling up trees I take away the branches and stuff that's too small to plank. I cut to length on site and split at the workshop. This saves a lot of time and my back in having to chuck big lumps into the van and then offload them at the other end. Best of all is that I don't have a big pile of sawdust at the workshop. Can you not cut to size where you are getting them from.

Mike

Saws are not meant to run at part throttle, this is counterproductive and will not cut faster than a small saw as the chain speed will be reduced. You'll just wear the saw out quicker.

I should have explained I guess. if you have a 361 and 661 running the same chain and bar (lest say 22 inch) you would run the bigger saw with a bigger sprocket as its got the torque and hp to run a buried chain at faster speed.

But even if they were running the same gearing, chain speed isnt everything. you could have the 361 and 66 but can bury the 66 alot harder and faster into the wood not loosing rpm or chain speed.

Running a saw at 80% throttle will not shorten its lifespan, the red eye 66 was famous for outlasting its counterparts due to its max revs reducing over its lifespan due to the characteristics of its electrics, there should be no excessive carbon build up or cooling issues. In fact the move from the 066 to 660 resulted in lower life expectancy in the saws initially due to increased exhaust temps due to the exhausts being more restrictive.

A few times on jobs that have run late or cutting wood at home, I have found my 3120 running lower revs will outcut the 440 running at full revs and at least seem to be alot quieter. (at least thats what my neighbours said)

Running a saw at 80% throttle will not shorten its lifespan,

Do you have a mark on the trigger to show where 80% throttle occurs ? I don't understand your logic and will not be convinced any saw should be run at reduced revs. Agree to differ and all that (but not really) :001_rolleyes: