Help with a quote

smokeygaz

It's the skills, competence and kit that makes it a 15 minuter though Stubby no? Haven't we all seen a less able bodger take a morning / day to make a complete pigs ear of such jobs!

Reassuringly expensive! Or, you get what you pay for? Or even, some jobs are just too small to bother with?

In all seriousness, if it were for a friend / neighbourly neighbour, I probably wouldn't even give em a bill, just leave it to them to decide if they want to drop a bottle in the passenger seat while you're not looking.

I don't mind doing a favour and having an open invite to do a return favour in the future.

Yea I was basing that on it being family . Having said that it is still a £50 job on the way home type of thing . I would be embarrassed quoting £200 ....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the skills, competence and kit that makes it a 15 minuter though Stubby no? Haven't we all seen a less able bodger take a morning / day to make a complete pigs ear of such jobs!

Reassuringly expensive! Or, you get what you pay for? Or even, some jobs are just too small to bother with?

In all seriousness, if it were for a friend / neighbourly neighbour, I probably wouldn't even give em a bill, just leave it to them to decide if they want to drop a bottle in the passenger seat while you're not looking.

I don't mind doing a favour and having an open invite to do a return favour in the future.

I hate favours, it's either for nothing (genuinely) or money.

The principle of tagging a cheapo bargain on at the end of the day seems simple enough, I guess supermarkets & retail stores do it with short shelf life / end of season stock - but it's never really a bargain rather just a means to shift stock.

I agree with you, price each job on its individual merits.

Any efficiencies that can be achieved by effective (or lucky) scheduling is what transfers to profit in the business.

If a £50 cash job is what the customer expects they can ask down the pub.

This.

The way I see it Stubby, is if you didn't happen to be ideally situated to do the job on your way home etc then they would need to have someone come and quote and schedule it into a days work somewhere, making it worth the sort of money I quoted above. The fact it can be done in 20 minutes on the way past simply makes it much better for the contractor, the price is still fair. No different IMO to a better equipped outfit doing half a days work for £1000.00 that a lesser firm may have wanted £1200 to spend two days on...just making the best of the circumstances.

This.

The way I see it Stubby, is if you didn't happen to be ideally situated to do the job on your way home etc then they would need to have someone come and quote and schedule it into a days work somewhere, making it worth the sort of money I quoted above. The fact it can be done in 20 minutes on the way past simply makes it much better for the contractor, the price is still fair. No different IMO to a better equipped outfit doing half a days work for £1000.00 that a lesser firm may have wanted £1200 to spend two days on...just making the best of the circumstances.

You would honestly quote £200 for that ? Well to be fair if someone will pay it you deserve it !

This.

I agree.... But the OP says this is a friend of his that lives around the corner from where the job is. A bit of slack now and again goes along way in my mind.

I think £200 pounds is reasonable.

The job has to be quoted:Fuel,wear and tear,time spent quoting

You have to get to the job and use five or six different machines,two saws,chipper,truck,stumpy,blower plus labour.

There will never be any propper money in the domestic sector untill people start charging propper prices.

I think £200 pounds is reasonable.

The job has to be quoted:Fuel,wear and tear,time spent quoting

You have to get to the job and use five or six different machines,two saws,chipper,truck,stumpy,blower plus labour.

There will never be any propper money in the domestic sector untill people start charging propper prices.

Yeah sure if it includes a return flight to Norway?!