Becoming Competent

Bizkitz

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha I'm sure there are people who are top notch straight away. But it does help to hear that it's taken people years to get to a level they consider good.

Thing is opinions are relative,for instance you may see me climb and think im a great climber but in my head im not that good cause i work with guys who are more experienced and a lot better than i am.

Most people focus on theyre weak points,as you are.

Try to focus on your strengths and dont be so hard on yourself.It ll take time but you have the balls to start climbing,not all make it even that far.

It's all relative mate.

After a couple of years I felt like I was getting the hang of it. After 3 years I looked at myself at 2 years and laughed at how crap I was, etc etc.

A few years in I think I'm doing alright, until I climb with someone who humbles me.

The fact that you're your own worst critic will see you well mate, just keep learning.

Gettin your groundie to send up your rope bag on a biner allows you quickly move your rope.Saves you pulling it through all the time

Great tip!

I think if you concentrate on thought and efficiency speed comes along naturally if you concentrate on speed you become flustered and end up being slow.

The best climber I have seen for example sends everything down pointing the right way to be dragged and chipped and works around being conscious of his groundies and the speed of that TEAM is an awe to watch. If your cutting and dropping at 100mph you inevitably have to wait for your groundies to unpick a large pile of wood and chip it so it takes a lot longer to complete the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Have you tried watching other climbers ( pick good ones ) and see if you can pick up some tips, monkey see monkey do etc

Some people pick things up quick some people not so quick, some of the best climbers I know are self Taught and ant got any tickets at all

Sounds to me like you just need to get a few more hours under your belt

If you can organise a rec climb with some climbers you will have the time to talk and watch and possibly try different climbing systems.

Otherwise at work do your best to watch and ask. Watch every climber, even bad ones (so you know, what, not to do)

Think about what you'd do, see if you can anticipate there next move. Only use the good bits you watch.

Hi ALex, and "welcome"

Firstly - congratulations for recognizing "where you're at" and understanding "where you want to be" (riddles anyone?) Basically what I'm trying to say is gud'on'ya fer recognizing that competence, in the true sense of the word, and proficiency (a term used in the industry ICoP) come from "time served." This is variable but a min. of 2 yrs I would suggest.

Secondly - what fantastic and encouraging replies from everyone here and some good ideas how / what to improve too.

Thirdly - following on form above, it might be worth a visit to the ARB Show in May (Westonbirt Arboretum) to both observe new techniques / equipment and ask questions to (some) industry experts...and of course to meet many of the good people above and buy them a pint...and 12 straws :biggrin:

Well done, enjoy and good luck with everything...AND climb safe (the single most important part of competence.)

Cheers :thumbup1:

Paul

I'm 3 years into climbing now and can take on most things, started late in life so I'll never be a "top climber" but hopefully am good at what I do. Something that has really helped me is having the opportunity to work with a top climber. One of the first things I noticed was his steady and smooth approach. Nothing was rushed and he didn't send huge limbs crashing down.

Picked up some great tips and learned how to work the crown efficiently. Speed comes with practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's all relative mate.

After a couple of years I felt like I was getting the hang of it. After 3 years I looked at myself at 2 years and laughed at how crap I was, etc etc.

A few years in I think I'm doing alright, until I climb with someone who humbles me.

The fact that you're your own worst critic will see you well mate, just keep learning.

This ... after 23 years I'm still learning stuff and trying to improve every time I climb and that's probably why I still enjoy it.

Keep critical and stay humble the bad climbers I've seen are usually the done it all know every thing King Kong types who when spectacularly mess up and blame it on there groundy ,gear or the weather, you seem to have made points your not happy about with your climbing address them and keep on learning.

If you decide it's not for you and many do after a few years ,well at least you tried.