Becoming Competent

Bizkitz

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the arb industry and got my climbing tickets in October. Have climbed a fair bit now but not an awful lot.

Certain things I feel I am ok at, however there's a lot that I am not good at. I often struggle moving around the tree in an efficent and speedy manner and quite often get my lines tangled. I've been getting quite annoyed at myself over this and basically not being good (don't get me wrong I don't expect to be good immediately). But I'm just wondering roughly how long did it take people to become competent? Either yourselves or new starters that you've seen?

I'm aware everyone will have different aptitudes immediately, some may fly around without much experience and some may struggle (like me). But I'd just like to know.

Thanks

Alex

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alex,

Don't be put off by this or get annoyed at yourself. These are all things that come with time. It took myself a good 3 years I'd say to become a fluent and competent climber and even now I have days when everything gets tangled up. Also don't compare yourself to others, I've been doing this for 8 years now and there are much better climbers than myself (some people are just naturally skilled).

If you try to focus on one thing that you are cocking up at a time and try and make that thing secondhand nature e.g pulling you main line through each time you need to. Get that sorted then move on to the next thing, if you try and sort everything at once you'll struggle. That's what I found when I started out anyway.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yip thesnarlingbadger is spot on,i would also add being good at something takes time and experience and im sure with both you will become skilled and productive.

Remember this-speed is not always good,slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say.Ive been climbing around 6 years(i think) and i still get days where things go wrong,or life seems to be conspiring against you.Keep climbing,watch youtube video's, listen and watch other climbers,tutors or workmates.

Some people start in the industry early and take to climbing like squirrels or others like me came too it late with passion and determination and make themselves a decent climber.

Its difficult to gauge how long it will take you too become proficient but if your climbing regularly with challenging trees it shouldnt take that long id say.

Dont be too hard on yourself or try to rush as this is where accidents happen.

A wee tip for you is once your in the tree try to plan your next 3 moves,keep ahead of yourself when moving around the crown-this will make you quicker and more productive.

Good luck Alex

Hi Alex being competent and fluid will come with time. A good idea that might help. Plan a few moves move your rope to the best place do the few cuts them plan the next bit. And by pulling your rope through you get a 2 min break to catch your breath and plan the next bit.

Competent at climbing and removing trees?

Or competent at pruning and arboriculture?

If you mean competent pruning and arboriculture, I think it will take 5 to 7 years to become competent working alone. If somebody else is giving you some guidance and instruction, maybe as little as two years.

I have worked with pruning, landscape design and landscape installation. A big problem I see among people who only do one facet, is not realizing all three should rely on the same knowledge. If they don't realize it, it's because they are inexperienced or ignorant.

Tree workers will remove and manage canopy that's integrated with a landscape design in many cases. And the designer won't be there. That means tree workers need to know many perennials and shrubs as well as trees due to shade and moisture requirements.

Landscape architects frequently don't realize maintenance cost differences between tree species the way a "competent" arborist does. So if somebody wants a low landscape maintenance with moderate growth, the landscape architect should have the same knowledge set as the arborist, and can benefit from some experience in the related field.

Edited by mdvaden

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the arb industry and got my climbing tickets in October. Have climbed a fair bit now but not an awful lot.

Certain things I feel I am ok at, however there's a lot that I am not good at. I often struggle moving around the tree in an efficent and speedy manner and quite often get my lines tangled. I've been getting quite annoyed at myself over this and basically not being good (don't get me wrong I don't expect to be good immediately). But I'm just wondering roughly how long did it take people to become competent? Either yourselves or new starters that you've seen?

I'm aware everyone will have different aptitudes immediately, some may fly around without much experience and some may struggle (like me). But I'd just like to know.

Thanks

Alex

I rate myself as a sh** climber. I Hated climbing in front of my partner as he's a very competent and a naturally gifted climber and has been climbing over 16 years but he pointed out to it took him 6 years to learn his craft. Hearing that has really helped

Thanks for all your replies. It's good to hear that it's going to take time. I've recently joined a large arb company and hopefully this will give me the experience and volume of work I need to get better.

I was just kind of wondering if everyone struggles to start with.

Thanks for all your replies. It's good to hear that it's going to take time. I've recently joined a large arb company and hopefully this will give me the experience and volume of work I need to get better.

I was just kind of wondering if everyone struggles to start with.

No matey not everyone struggles. B/Sters are top notch from the get go :biggrin: